edited April 2022 in ORK Support
Hello everyone.

I recently undertook to convert my Project from ORK2 to ORK3 (I had started during the BETA of ORK3).
Everything is going relatively well, since ORK3 uses the basic principles and functionality of ORK2.
However, I am stuck on some small details, which for the moment escape my understanding, which is why I am grouping them in this POST, in order to be helped and possibly help other users later:
1 ) The battle starts randomly.

Indeed, to carry out tests I created a very simple project where I configured a test base (1 player, 1 enemy, statuses, and shcematic, etc.)

I place a fight in my scene ( Battle 3D - in Turn based, teleport battle) and it starts correctly!

However, when I test my scene again, the fight no longer starts directly, sometimes it starts the 1st time, the 2nd time, the 3,4,5 times that I request it.

I tried with several machines and the result is the same.

E.g with a machine interaction, press Key, the fight sometimes starts the 1st time I press the Key, sometimes the 2nd 3rd etc...

Same with a "Click Hud Interaction", sometimes the fight starts as soon as I click on the "HUD", sometimes it takes 2 clicks, sometimes 3 etc...

(I tried making the player Spawn in the scene and not making spawn him , the result is the same.
I specify that to launch the battle from a schematic, I use the Node "Start Battle" with as an object, an actor recovered in the scene by "FIND Object")

Partially resolved, it appears to be a timing issue.

When I add a 3 second Dialog (autoclose) in the schematic, the fight always starts after three seconds, even if I click as soon as the scene opens.

So it seems to me that we can't correctly launch a fight immediately at the opening of a scene, we have to wait slightly (maybe a question of loading and initialization).

In the tests that I carry out, it is a question of launching combat from the HUD, on smartphone.
Needless to say, players will hit the combat launch buttons as soon as the screen appears.

2) Display an element in the HUD, if a Status Value exists or is requested

Currently, I need to display a specific icon/image ( in the HUD ) for a Barrier Status Value, when the Player has one.

To do this, I use HUD CONDITION , which checks a global variable to display the icon.

The Variable is enabled/disabled by "schematic change" configured in the Status Value.

I wonder if it won't be easier to add to "HUD condition" the possibility of checking a status value.
Resolved.

The option is well available in the HUD CONDITION conponent, find ADD condition , combatant status , Status value.
3) I really can't configure a Status value bar with ICON.

I have consulted the help section in the Ork 3 Guide ( "You can also use the ORK HUD Icon Bar Content component – ​​instead of a single value bar,...)

but I desperately can't.
Could someone make a specific tutorial or provide me a prefab for this element?

Thank you in advance for your help and congratulations again GIL for your great work on ORK 3
Resolved.

By practicing and understanding a little better how Unity UI works with ORK.
I remain available if another user needs clarification
Post edited by MadMaxx on
  • For the battle start timing issue - that was an issue during beta phase when starting directly in the scene when playtesting and shouldn't be an issue any longer, as long as there is a player available. Otherwise you might want to first load a different scene where you do your player group setup and load into your scene with battles afterwards.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2022
    Hi,

Here is a new question, is it possible to configure the camera to follow an enemy?
    Let me explain, during an event, a machine launches and changes the camera position (with the enemy as "Target"), however the enemy moves and I would like to know if it is possible that the camera (the lens) follows this enemy who moves (as is possible with CINEMACHINE)
    This is very used for making "killcam" for example
    Finally, I decided to use "CINEMACHINE" directly, I would have needed it in my project sooner or later.

My case is a little special, I only need to use certain cinemachine functions, during combat.
    So I just activate and deactivate the "Component" of my Virual camera when I need it.
    By using the change Field node, I can also choose the enemies to follow etc.. Useful for making the camera follow projectiles or enemies in certain cases (for example for the escape...).

It's a bit complex solution but it does the job.
    I think there is no identical or turnkey solution with Makinom/Ork, to do this.

Besides, I noticed that if Cinemachine is used, it is no longer possible to use the "change camera position" function (Node) and the makinom camera manipulation system with the "position" system. of camera" preconfigured

It is possibly possible to use the "mount" node to achieve a similar result, but the options and the fluidity provided by cinemachine in the management of the camera remains really very valuable.

I might look into the alternative offered by Ork/Makinom later.
  • edited April 2022
    Need help with the following topic:

I would like to use a "item variable " to calculate the damage caused by the item itself.

My Item is configured with the following variable:

- ItemDMG , float X , source variable: Local

Then in my item , target setting , status change , change value = Variable(ItemDMG) , origin: Local.

When I use the node calculate action (configured in the battle animation of my item)
    The damage suffered by my target is always equal to Zero , regardless of the configuration of my "ItemDMG" variable.

I don't understand why the calculation does not take the Variable into account, when it is configured "locally".

In addition, wanting to circumvent this problem I met a new one.
    To overcome this in my item, target setting, change Type: I choose "shematic" and I use a shematic which "selects my item (the one concerned) and then a Node "change status value" based on the variable "ItemDMG" .
    And strangely, it works.
    HOWEVER THIS DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT the DAMAGE ANIMATION.
    the "flying Text" appears with the right amount of damage, but impossible to play the damage animation (something that works well when I normally use the damage calculation by the Target setting configuration ...).

I don't understand, the damage animation should only be passed when it comes to a COST for the user, not a change of status for the target.

Well, any help is welcome.

[I confirm, impossible to obtain the animation of damage when a Status Value is impacted by a value coming from a variable.

At least, by using a schematic in the configuration of a target (schematic who uses a status value change based on a variable)]

I specify that this problem is "avoidable" by simply adding a Node "Combatant Animation" which will play the animation of damage, at the same time as the calculation of damage.

This just removes the process automation from the damage animation.

I also wonder if this solution impacts the overall performance.
  • edited April 2022
    Regarding cinemachine and camera nodes - most likely cinemachine's handling of the camera overrules any changes made to the camera by the nodes. It should work when you disable cinemachine while using those nodes.

The item variables are available in formulas (or schematics) used by the item as Selected Data variable origin via the data key action.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hi there,

Little Up to ask for help with the "Active Time" combat system.
    I would like to know if it is possible to set up the following system:

In a turn-based combat system the player has an "ATB" bar which fills up every X Times.
    When this is filled, a menu appears and allows the player to choose an ability or an item to use on an enemy, but without this ending the turn.
    This means that the player can use several options during his turn.
    Then when he is finished, he uses the "End Turn" button ( battle menu ) to give way to the enemy attack (whose turn is also calculated with an ATB system).

I specify that I tried a lot of configuration with the Active time system to arrive at this result but I never manage to ensure that the player can choose an action (which is carried out directly), then can choose another. action without it ending his turn.
    For example, I tried to configure the system so that the item/ability only consumes 0 of the ATB bar, but despite this, the turn ends as soon as an action is carried out (even though I did uncheck "end turn" in default timebar cost .

I specify that this system is easily configurable with the Turn based battle option, but I fear that it is not possible in Active time.

Thanks in advance.
  • Use the Use Multi Choice options in your active time battle system's Battle Mode settings.
    This allows using multiple actions in a turn.
  • Thank you for your answer GIL , but I had already tried this solution with the option:
    - Multichoice
    -Use actions: Max timebar

(I presice that I use a timebar system that fills like a Hp bar, not the "action border" system

The problem with this solution is that the actions are launched at the end of the turn and are linked, except I need what is carried out as soon as they are selected (the battle animation is triggered, then once finished, the menu of selection reappears with unused abilities or the ability to end the turn).

The combat system I use is a bit hybrid with a shortcut slot system etc.).

That's why I'm afraid it's not possible with the ATB system.
  • Hm, yeah - might be that this isn't possible currently.

While you can simulate it by having no timebar cost for actions (and e.g. just the None action consuming the timebar), each action will end the combatant's turn, causing a new turn for the next action.
  • edited July 2022
    Hm, yeah - might be that this isn't possible currently.

While you can simulate it by having no timebar cost for actions (and e.g. just the None action consuming the timebar), each action will end the combatant's turn, causing a new turn for the next action.
    That's what I thought.
    I would therefore wait for a future Uptdate if one day you decide to include this possibility.
    Thanks anyway.

For information, I encounter a problem ("bug"?) concerning the equipment of my characters.
    I use the equipment system with the "child link" function, everything works well but sometimes when the camera is too close to the character, certain pieces of equipment disappear.
    The prefabs that I use have not LOD ( juste a simple mesh ) and I don't think the problem comes from unity (when I put the objects alone in a scene, they never disappear).
    Gil, have you ever heard of a similar problem?
  • Hmm ... how close is the camera to a combatant for this to happen?
    The equipment viewer only hides the equipment if it's Display Conditions are not valid.
  • edited July 2022
    "Hmm ... how close is the camera to a combatant for this to happen?
    The equipment viewer only hides the equipment if it's Display Conditions are not valid."
    Thank you for your advice, the problem does not come from "Ork"

I found a solution without really understanding the origin of the problem.
    In fact it is a problem with my model (FBX) when the camera is too close to him or in a certain angle of view, unity considers that he is no longer visible on the screen and therefore stops the displayed.

To solve this problem, you must check "Uptade when offscreen" in the "Skinned Mesh Renderer" component of the model ( or the prefab ).

The most surprising thing is that this does not happen with other models generated in the same way.
    I read on a unity topic that it is surely a Pivot problem related to the vertex taken into account (weight) within the framework of a rig (and the model does have a rig to be able to be linked to the character via "child link".

hum... I love these surprises that reserve unity and which lose precious minutes/hours.
  • hi,

For information, I take this opportunity to ask a new question concerning the display of personalized data, through the menu.

I understood the use of elements through the HUD , UI box and menu option ( and battle menu ) available in ORK.

However, I would like to make something rather simple in appearance, but which really bothers me.

To put it simply, I would like to display in a UI BOX a list of selected items using "selected item" or "selected data"

To be more precise, in the battle menu, I try to get the possibility to display a simple ui box with this list of items.
    Can't find a solution to do this.

So imagine that at any time in the game, we would like to display data contained in a selected data through a hud, displaying a ui box listing this information, how should we go about it.

I add 2 additional information:

- I almost managed to achieve this by using the inventory display functions in the battle menu, but since there is no possibility to display items according to the variable associated with them or of selected data, it's wrong.

I've also almost had success using the "selected datachoice" node but that doesn't work for me as I need the player to not be able to select objects ( because choosing an object in this case closes the ui box ).
    Indeed, the goal is simply that the player can see the tooltip when he presses on it, without any other action (and that he must use the cancel button to leave this "ui box").

In fact, it is therefore a matter of having a kind of node selected data "show" and not "choice".

In addition, to have the possibility of launching a schematic which would open this UI box from a Menu or Battle Menu.

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, or if it's not possible yet.

Thank you in advance for your help.
  • I don't think this is currently possible.
    You can display selected data via a Selected Data Choice node, which lists stuff in selected data and lets the player select one (choice dialogue).

However, HUDs, menus or battle menus don't have functionality to show something in selected data.

Maybe shortcut slots can help you. They can be used to store things like items, equipment or abilities and can be displayed/used in battle menus and HUDs.
  • Alright, thanks, I'll try to find a way around this.

I think the selected data "show" feature could really be useful in many circumstances.

I almost succeeded in creating this function by disabling certain function on the button used by the ui box , but that prevents the display of the tooltype :(

I would come back here to write my progress.

Thanks Gil.
  • I'll look into it for future updates.