Let’s say we are using the completed 3d RPG Playground project for ORK 3:

I have some character assets using Mixamo animations, and want to use blend trees for ONLY those assets - I’m fine with setting up the Animator component but continue to hit a rock with ORK setup. I followed a nice tutorial I found here, but I only end up with a vibrating model that moves around but isn’t animated. I think it’s an issue with passing the Speed parameter - but can someone give me a step by step (in ORK 3.2) on how to accomplish this? A couple things have changed like Math Functions being added to values that are messing me up I think? I added a new combatant for my new character, so I should still be able to keep the tutorial legacy animated enemies and party members along with this too right?

And last question - the weapon in hand thing that all the tutorial characters have in battle, how should I proceed to get my mecanim assets to hold their weapon in battle? Animate from scratch?

I think I’m thrown off by tutorial being all legacy animated and trying to stitch what I’ve learned from the Action and 2d tutorials.

Thanks in advance, and much love to @gamingislove - I feel less like a fraud everyday hahaha!
  • If you mean Keldryn's tutorial, I had the same problem when trying to set up my initial Idle/Walk/Run Mechanim animations until I followed the ORK 2 tutorial. Maybe it also helps you: http://orkframework.com/ork-2/tutorial/gameplay/mecanim-animations/

Since I did not touch the general settings, and the default animation system is still set to Legacy, the tutorial characters still work fine alongside my new Mechanim combatant.
  • Both the 3D Action RPG tutorials and the 2D Grid Battle RPG tutorials use Mecanim animations.
    They forward the movement speed to the animator controller and play animations based on that instead of using ORK's auto animation system.

As for weapons in hand (or other equipment), that's basically independent from the used animation system. That's just Equipment Viewer components spawning the equipment's prefab on wherever you placed the component/game object :)
    If you want to play animations ON an equipment, you can do that via animation nodes in your schematics animating the actions. There are also nodes to play Mecanim animations without having them set up for a combatant.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @Scyra - thanks so much. Definitely going to check that tonight when I get home!

@gamingislove - I saw on a break today about the Equipment Viewer - going to play around with that tonight as well!

Thanks to all, be happy to report my findings for the good of the forum with how setup goes! Thanks!
  • @Scyra - that definitely works. So all good with movement now, really appreciate it. But I’d really like to use Blend Trees to get in depth, but I guess it’s just not possible with default settings set to Legacy? Or did you get blend trees working in the same way we are talking about?

@gamingislove - all good with weapons now. Thanks for that. I am stuck with battle animations now. I have battle idle working properly, but the animation plays so fast you just get the impression it runs up, does a .25 second animation and moves back. This is because of the Makinom attack schematic right? I notice the warrior type in the playground plays a slower full sword swing.. why does mine go at light speed? Amy thoughts? Thanks as always!
  • edited May 2022
    theProject said: But I’d really like to use Blend Trees to get in depth, but I guess it’s just not possible with default settings set to Legacy? Or did you get blend trees working in the same way we are talking about?
    Combatants > General Settings > Default Animation System Type: Legacy is overriden for a combatant that is set to Own Animation System: Mecanim. In my completed 3D RPG Playground project I edited the Warrior combatant to give him a Humanoid prefab model and Mecanim animations. So just the Warrior can use Blend Trees and any other Mecanim feature until I decide to update the others.

For your other question—did you create an Attack state in your Mecanim animator controller?
    Post edited by Scyra on
  • edited May 2022
    @Scyra - thanks again for checking in - I need to provide context, so uploaded some screen shots to Imgur so you can see. I can get my character walking and running like this, but I just can't figure out how to forward Speed to the Animator for a Blend Tree, and what ORK should look like.

So here is my Base Control/Animations/ChibiMecanim settings. I created new groups for both the walk/run/idle and another set called Mecanim Battle. Here is the first:

This next screenshot is my character, I just copied the Warrior, and basically changed the prefab to my mecanim asset (called a chibi boy for some reason lol) - and set it up whatever way it took to make it work.

So what I am looking for, is lets say "Speed" is the float parameter of the Blend Tree, where am I passing that in my Combatant settings? Thanks!

My battle animation - it plays, its just really fast, like it is a 3 second animation and it gets forced to be done in .5 seconds or something. I do have a sperate animation group called Mecanim Battle with attack animations - but they do pull from the same exact Animator/Controller. Ill try to post a video of that later! Thanks again!

Post edited by theProject on
  • ........I got the blend tree working. My Speed parameter kept changing to Blend... so ORK kept having errors logged for the hash not existing. I feel like an idiot. OK, so movement is down, passing Horizontal Speed works perfect, love it.
  • For the attack animation, I assume you already set up your Animator > Parameters > added a Trigger called "attack," and then added it as condition in your transition from Any State to Attack. If so, try these Combatant settings:

• edited May 2022
    @Scyra - fantastic work on your part, I really appreciate it. Your guidance got my Animator working right for running around with blend trees, and it works great.

For the attack, I followed the great Mecanim tutorial from Kendryl, but lightly as to just test it for battle idle, and battle attack. Now the idle plays in turn based battle correctly, and the attack plays - however the attack timing needs to be fixed which shouldn’t be a problem after adjusting the duration of the clip for that specific action. However, my new issue now is that when the battle is over, im stuck in the SwordShield SSM (per tutorial) which breaks my Base Layer animation. I imagine it’s because I’m not transitioning right to exit back to the Base Layer. I’m sure I just need to follow the SSM transitions and it’s just routing then incorrectly since I breezed over the myriad of other transitions and animations on that tutorial (not worried about blocks or drinking right now lol).

Sincerely appreciate the help. This really opened up some intense animation to make the game pop for me, and excited to see it! My facial animator has been working great with this too!

Do you have a game out there to check out?
  • theProject said: I followed the great Mecanim tutorial from Kendryl, but lightly as to just test it for battle idle
    Me too. So, I'm not further along than you are now. I haven't tried to do animation layers for different weapon types yet. I see you made a thread about your game progress, so I'll make a post there.
  • ORK 3.3.0 added options to switch out animator controllers (in Base/Control > Animations), maybe it'll be eaiser to use an animator override controller and just replace animations for the weapon you want?

If you use this, make sure to also change the animator controller back to the original in the combatant's standard animation setup.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @gamingislove - I saw that in the patch notes! That’s exactly what I’m going to do. I’m actually going to follow in @Keldryn footsteps and create a tutorial on using that new feature. I think a lot of folks are getting lost with animation and I’ve been living in it, so making a mixamo / bought asset tutorial for ORK3 will be awesome. So I’ll own that!

@Scyra - look forward to checking it out, and glad to know I have someone on a similar pipeline - we can be game dev pals! I’m very active, and would be happy to support with things I know as well! Thanks so much for your help!
  • So here is my animation issue - ignore the sword, just testing here. @gamingislove or @Scyra - what value would I adjust and where to time the enemy hit with my sword swing? The transition duration in ORK? Thanks!

• Since Mecanim doesn't report animation durations, you need to make sure your ORK animation duration setup is correct, e.g. getting it via the Animation Clip name (this is in Base/Control > Animations).

For the timing in your schematics playing the animation, that's handled by the wait time used in the Combatant Animation nodes, as shown in the different tutorials on animating the battle actions. The Normalized Time setting makes it easy to wait for parts of the animation (e.g. 0.5 to wait for 50% of it).
  • edited May 2022
    @gamingislove - I’m officially going crazy with the Animator. So I have two layers, Base Layer, and Battle Layer. Battle Layer is Avatar Masked, weight set to 1. I run my locomotion blend tree on the base layer (with blend tree) - in ORK, this is an animation type I made called Blend as that animation type simply forwards speed to the animator. No problems there. So for battle, I followed parts of Keldryns tutorial, that’s why I have this masked layer for combat. Everything works in battle as expected, still working on some timing but no worries.

I have all of this action happening in an SSM on the masked Battle Layer in the animator controller. I have a “Mecanim Battle” animation type setup in ORK that calls for all the battle moves, which again all work. I have the Combatant setup to move with my “Blend” animation type for movement and added a battle animation to call the “Mecanim Battle” animation system for the battles. Again, everything works…until Victory. I can get it to play the victory animation (placed on the base animator layer) and set a transition to my blend tree for locomotion, which works after the victory pose, but once the battle scene goes back to the field, my character is then stuck in the Battle Idle stance and loses locomotion. Just ice skates all around in that pose. enter a new battle? It all plays correct again.

So my issue is getting back to the default locomotion after victory - I’m at a loss here. Any ideas? Thanks