Hello everyone,

As part of the migration of my ORK2 to ORK3 project, I wonder if it would not be wise to immediately use the new build deployment system offered in the latest version of unity.
For example, for the Android platform, the classic Asset Bunble system is no longer supported by Google and it is recommended to use the Unity Addressable Asset System with the new APK file extension (aab)

I work alone on my project and I must admit that all this seems slightly complex to me at the moment but I understand the usefulness of using the Unity Addressable Asset System.
This makes it easier to deploy, update and manage the content of a project (reducing loading times etc...).

I know that ORK is fully compatible with the Asset Bunble System but I can't figure out what it has for the Unity Addressable Asset System.
I don't see an option in the choice of the resource that allows ORK to fetch Assets or load scenes from Unity Addressable Asset System (unlike the asset bunble).

So I would like to know if some of you use this system and if you have any advice or important script used for it.

I presice that I consulted the tutorial of "Indie Tutorials" (thank you by the way and congratulations for the job), but this tutorial is not complete (it does not go into details and does not really explain the issues) and especially the video series on the subject is not finished.
"How-to ORK Framework - Implementing the Addressables System Part 1" By Indie Tutorials

@GIL I saw that on another topic, you advised a user not to worry too much about this type of problem in the first development phase of a project, but since my project is the result of a migration and I'm alone, I prefer to organize things before they become more complex and unmanageable xD.

Thanks in advance .
  • Hey @MadMaxx,
    The main two reasons I didn't finish the tutorial are:
    1) Lack of advanced knowledge on ORKFramework 3, I don't even have advance knowledge of ORK 2 ;p
    2) To fully implement the Addressable logic it needs changes in the core of the framework, which means having to maintain those changes with each version released.

I hope you can understand.
    Cheers
  • edited May 2022
    RustedGames, thanks for your answer.

I better understand the end of the tutorial series and I therefore understand that I should do without this feature for the moment.

So I find myself a little stuck, because I'm afraid that I'm developing my project around functionality that will be obsolete when eventually my game will be ready to be deployed.

The problem that I dread is above all that the end user must download a game that is too "large" ( for mobile and medium/slow internet connexion ) or that the loading between the different scenes or parts of the game is too long (I remember a topic where a Ork user seeing the time loading of his Main Scene to be several minutes because of the loading of all the music of his games, and GIL had advised him to use the Asset Bunble, a method which is no longer supported by Google Today).

While waiting for ORK to be fully compatible with the "Addressable" system (and for you to come out with a new tutorial: p)
    I'll think about another solution since I'm targeting Android as the platform for my games.

I will try to use the assets bundle system to avoid long loading Time and manage assets distribution.

I have just noticed the great quantity of tutorials that you have already produced.
    wow this is really impresive and it covers so much things
    thank you..

Personally, that's why I find ORK Framework great, without coding knowledge and with a little intelligence, it is possible to achieve great things thanks to the visual code system (schematic) and even with a little will to put your hands lightly in the development system (call function, use variable, change field etc.) to adapt other assets and make them work with ORK.

I recently worked on using Cinemachine to animate the camera of my turn-based combat and the result is really satisfying for me.
    The camera management system offered by Ork is really very good, but I needed more dynamism and these are the results I was able to obtain using Ork3(makinom) and Cinemachine.

I have no doubt that you will surely master ORK frameworkd perfectly in no time and will provide great tutorials for the community.

So thank you and thank you GIL !
    Post edited by MadMaxx on
  • Wait ... asset bundles are no longer supported by Google?
    I can't find anything on that, has Unity addressed that anywhere?

Generally, since addressables are part of a separate package and not a core Unity functionality, it can't be part of ORK/Makinom's core functionality and needs to be added as an extension. Makinom's AssetSource system allows for doing that, so it should be possible, but I haven't really had the time to take a deep dive into addressables yet.
    The overall systems seems to be somewhat of a mess and I'm not even able to find any Unity compatibility list/table or if it's even production ready.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited May 2022
    @GIL

I think I was totally wrong, google still supports Asset Bunble functionality, it's just the format in which the application is distributed that changes.
    See link below:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/aab-support-does-that-mean-we-dont-need-to-use-pad.1129876/
    optimise said: ↑
    @JuliusM I would like to verify something with u. If I understand correctly, it's still use same API to load if I use asset bundle and also if I use current version of addressable it's still work just like before as long as I dun use custom asset packs. The only thing that PAD feature changed is just the final android build will pack into new asset pack format as install-time, fast-follow and on-demand delivery modes. Am I correct?

If you create asset bundles yourself and place them in a StreamingAssets directory, then nothing will change for your project. If you are using Addressables package, then some adaptation will be needed. As I've mentioned in one of the posts, Addressables team is preparing an example how to do that.
    Do u have ETA when it will backport to 2020.3.x LTS? 2020.3.16 LTS?
    It was included in 2020.3.15f2 (see release notes https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/2020.3.15).

More on the sujbect :

https://github.com/airsdk/Adobe-Runtime-Support/issues/439

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2021/06/the-future-of-android-app-bundles-is.html

On the other hand, I cannot say if this implies changes to be expected for users of ORK for android, in their way of managing/positioning their assets.
    I'm not competent enough for that.
    Generally, since addressables are part of a separate package and not a core Unity functionality, it can't be part of ORK/Makinom's core functionality and needs to be added as an extension. Makinom's AssetSource system allows for doing that, so it should be possible, but I haven't really had the time to take a deep dive into addressables yet.
    The overall systems seems to be somewhat of a mess and I'm not even able to find any Unity compatibility list/table or if it's even production ready.
    Thank you for these precisions and I understand that for the moment, it is too early to envisage any integration of this system with ORK/Makinom.

From what I have read, unity is considering the use of this system (Addressable) as the future and in the long term it could therefore be necessary to work on it (within several years I imagine).
    This surely also explains the lack of documentation allowing the integration of this system.

In the meantime, let's be content with what we have :)
    Post edited by MadMaxx on
  • Well, based on the addressables manual, it's built upon asset bundles, so I'd say this is something that Unity would need to figure out anyway :)

Support for addressables is planned for the future in any case. Just can't say when, though - but it'll be in form of an extension (i.e. just a separate script that you can import) due to it being part of an optional package and not a core Unity functionality.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!