Hi GIL I’ve been working on the stat system for a turn based game that I’m a part of. It’s all working well, im just in the process of brining in elemental damages and bonuses. Items, consumables, armours, weapons, skills and combatants will have elemental types attached to them: some will have several elemental types attached to them. As is usually the case, some elements are strong weak and neutral to other elemental stats.
Eg a water move will be strong against a fire combatant. Armour is defensive against the element to water/ground armour will remove the fire stat bonus against the fire combatant. The combatants element won’t effect its stat bonus against the enemies type only the move that is used. So if a water combatant uses a neutral move then it won’t do extra damage to the fire enemy. Weapons will give attack stat bonuses in the same way that skills do. Items may give an elemental resistance or temporary elemental attack bonus.
What variable in the editor do you think we should use for the elemental types?
Also what is the best way to set up the strengths and weaknesses formulas in your experience?

Also we are having a journal that takes note of the information you come across in the game: think Pokédex or botw record book.
The player will have their journal filled in the journal as they interact with these objects in world where they can read up on what characteristics they have. They will be displayed as cards, the information will be greyed out/limited until it is obtained.
The information that will be filled in is: Items, consumables, armours, weapons, skills, combatants, locations, crafting recipes and story elements.
What is the best way to set this up?
We also want each if these cards to be numbered and for the player to be able to sort them according to their number for each type.
What editor variable would be best to use to do this?

• Attack modifiers are what you're looking for - e.g. check out this documentation.

Attack modifiers allow you to give an attribute to a status value change (e.g. damage of an attack), using the target's attribute values to influence the change. They're percent based, e.g. a value of 100 means 100% damage, 200 is double damage, 50 is only 50% damage, 0 is no damage and negative will heal instead of damaging, etc.

Defence modifiers are similar, but they give an attribute to the combatant (e.g. size, race, etc.) and use the attacker's values to influence the status value change.

The status system setup tutorials make use of both, using attack modifiers for elemental damage and defence modifiers for size attributes.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok that’s great, I’ll go through those guides and apply your advice.

Also for the second paragraph relating to filling in the game encyclopaedia/dex etc as well as the numbered sorting list, what would you suggest is the best approach?
  • edited July 2022
    Ah, sorry, I skipped that part :)

The logs are the best fit for something like that - see this documentation for details.

For combatant-only information, there's also the bestiary. It can automatically learn information about an encountered enemy or you can 'scan' one via an ability or item.
    The bestiary is set up in Game > Game Settings in the ORK Game Settings > Bestiary Settings.
    To display it, you can use menu screens with Bestiary menu parts.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks GIL, we had a collaboration and went through that documentation and have now implemented it all. Works great!

Regarding the logging, that seems like the exact solution we are looking for.
    The bestiary is more or less what we are planning on replicating. Is there a way to duplicate the bestiary functionality for the items and moves?
    If so that would be great.

Otherwise with the logs it seems a though we will need to manually create a script for each item if we understand it correctly?
    Is there a way to automate this? Perhaps set it so that it references the items to see if by the entire category whether it has been discovered or not?
  • GuSt said: Is there a way to duplicate the bestiary functionality for the items and moves?
    No, I don't think there is.
    You can probably do something with some custom scripting, though.
    GuSt said: Otherwise with the logs it seems a though we will need to manually create a script for each item if we understand it correctly?
    Is there a way to automate this? Perhaps set it so that it references the items to see if by the entire category whether it has been discovered or not?
    Same here, this isn't possible out of the box.
    It can probably be done via some custom scripting ... e.g. registering to the player's inventory handlers to get notified when something was added. Though finding the matching log would be an issue ...
  • edited July 2022
    No worries GIL, we may revisit this a little later then or change our game design to make use of built-in ORK approach then take it from there.
    Cheers for the explanation.
    Post edited by BoostG on
  • I have a follow up question: is there a way in the editor or through schematics to set up a formula for elemental strengths and weaknesses to do things such as having elemental strengths automatically set or to have pre-determined modifiers with certain elemental combinations?
    Eg fire will always do 150% damage against a grass type.
    Or a fire+fly move will do 165% damage against a grass type.
  • No, but you can use status bonus templates (Templates > Status Bonuses) to make reusable setups and add them to your combatants.
  • Ok great, thanks GiL