In the past I have followed the Playground demo tutorial to set up the game foundations since our game is primarily a turn based RPG. However we also have ARPG elements like over-world combat and abilities in particular circumstances.
I have read that you have mentioned that this mix is possible with ORK, as I have now been visiting the ARPG demo tutorials that certainly seems to be the case.

As im integrating the two, the first question I have is the approach to animation type. Our mechanic animation lends itself to the Animator Root Motion used in the ARPG tutorial rather than the character controller move type in the playground tutorial. However before I begin the process of transferring the animations, should I be mindful of any potential conflicts?

In the battle instance will the different animation type effect the animations or sequences?
Or will it just be a matter of swapping out the animations?

Also outside of the move type should I be mindful of anything else that may arise when combining the turn based and ARPG elements?

Thanks GIL
  • For what it's worth you can use both Root Motion and non-Root Motion in the same animator component if you'd like, you'll just want to toggle the Apply Root Motion property in the animator when applicable.
  • There are different ways to approach it - you can e.g. switch out animators, use conditional combatant prefabs to just use different prefabs with different setup (e.g. to switch between legacy and Mecanim animations), etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks @Acissathar and GIL that’s good to know.
    I’ll look into both of those tomorrow morning
    And GIL you don’t think having the other character controller move type will have any notable effect on the turn based battle scene?
  • I don't think so - ORK just spawns stuff and plays animation, so it's mostly up to your setup :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited July 2022
    I tested one project where I used Invector's Basic Locomotion controller to move around in the field, and simply toggled off its component on battle start, and enabled ORK movement components. It worked fine. I didn't do any special integration process with the controller either.

In my current project I only use ORK for movement, and I toggle Apply Root Motion automatically per tagged animation with this script component attached to my combatant prefab:

using UnityEngine;

public class ApplyRootMotion : MonoBehaviour
    {

Animator animator;
    AnimatorStateInfo stateInfo;
    void Awake () {
    animator = this.gameObject.GetComponent<Animator> ();
    }
    void OnAnimatorMove () {
    stateInfo = animator.GetCurrentAnimatorStateInfo (2);
    if (stateInfo.IsTag ("Apply Root Motion")) {

animator.ApplyBuiltinRootMotion ();
    }
    }
    }

Note the (2) at the end of line 12 refers to your animation layer — I'm using Animator layer 2 as an override layer to play animations tagged: Apply Root Motion.
    Post edited by Scyra on