Hey,

I followed some of makinom tutorials to learning the basics of Makinom and Ork, I focused in survival shooter tutorial and tried to adapt to another characters, but I found some doubts and question.

In player movement schematic, I would like the player rotates with the right stick of the joystick, how I can to do it?... I see I must change the Rotate To node and change rotation target, but i only can select GameObject, Position and Mouse Position.

In player shooting I would like to shoot another prefab, particles and, let the player select differents guns with differents damages and shooting styles, any idea on how I must do it?
  • If you want to rotate into the direction of the joystick, store the horizontal and vertical joystick axis as a Vector3 variable, e.g. via a Change Variables node or Directional Joystick Input node (to e.g. store the input based on camera direction).
    You can use the axis of an input key as value via Input > Input Key Axis in float value selections, so use that to set the axes of the Vector3 variable.

With that, you have the direction of the input - now add the player/game object's position to it and you have the position you can rotate to.

As for different guns, there are multiple ways to do it.
    One way would be to have the whole shooting mechanic as part of the guns - i.e. switching out the gun's game object will automatically change the handling, prefabs, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • gamingislove said: If you want to rotate into the direction of the joystick, store the horizontal and vertical joystick axis as a Vector3 variable, e.g. via a Change Variables node or Directional Joystick Input node (to e.g. store the input based on camera direction).
    You can use the axis of an input key as value via Input > Input Key Axis in float value selections, so use that to set the axes of the Vector3 variable.
    I must change the e.g Rotate To node to Directional Joystick Input node?
  • No, you use the nodes to get the position you use in the Rotate To node.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited July 2022
    gamingislove said: No, you use the nodes to get the position you use in the Rotate To node.
    I´m a bit lost, I based in schematic created in Survival Shooter tutorial, but in this case I should do it based in https://makinom.com/guide/tutorials/schematics/simple-character-controller/? I tried to do it and tested but my player character rotates around the pivot.

And in this case how I must do the schematic?, I added the Change variables node, here I must store the Vector3 variable, and in Directional Input Node, I must select the player or Machine Object? I show a screenshot of the schematic I tried to create:
    https://imgur.com/a/J6cS0y6

Post edited by berbelias on
  • You need to use the Change Variables node before the Rotate To node.

You're using Change Variables to store the values from the inputs and add the position of the player to it. This gives you the position you'll use in the Rotate To node.
  • gamingislove said: You need to use the Change Variables node before the Rotate To node.
    I´ll try if it works, and ask again if I found some issue. With Directional Joystick Input node I must do the same way?, for e.g I must to add before the Rotate To node
  • edited July 2022
    Doesn´t work, I´ll post a screenshot of my schematic, y added the node Change variables before the Rotate To node, but the player doesn´t rotate around itself.

https://imgur.com/a/gqpCRMQ
  • Can you show me the setup of the Change Variables, Move and Rotate To nodes?
  • Yes, I´ll show screenshots of Change variables, Move and Rotate To nodes.

I added the Change variables node before of Rotate To I don´t know if the Change variables must add just after the settings node or after the Move node

Here I post a screenshot of the nodes settings
    https://imgur.com/a/0DysBsC

• I see multiple issues:

Change Variables
    - you didn't select an input key for the Z-Axis
    - I'd also recommend using Local variable origin
    - add another variable change to the node that adds the machine object's position to the RotateAxis variable (via Game Object > Game Object) Vector3 type as value)

Rotate To
    - you don't use the same variable origin as in the Change Variables node for the RotateAxis variable
    - I'd recommend to use Local origin in both nodes

Also, it's probably better to use the Rotate To node before the Move node.
  • The player characters moves right, but when he rotates around his axis I still have the same problem, under I show the screenshots of my schematics and nodes, specially to Change variables, Moves and Rotate to nodes. In node settings I added another start variable named as the variable key I added (RotateAxis)

https://imgur.com/a/GXcTbyt
  • Change variable 2 - use Add operator to add the position to the input.
  • Well, already in this case, if I have managed to correct the axis of rotation with the parameters you have just passed me, but now a problem occurs to me, I will show it to you below in a small video, but when pressing the right analog stick (turn of the camera) the character does rotate but when walking there is a moment that rotates down as shown in the following video:

I don´t know if it could be the input axis settings, I set up Horizontal axis (4th Joystick axis) and Vertical Axis (5th Joystick axis) in my input manager. I´m using a Joystick similar to Xbox One.

https://imgur.com/a/cgvaI9k

• Make sure to use the lock options for rotation axes to only rotate on the Y axis. Otherwise it might be a rigidbody/physics causing this.
  • edited August 2022
    gamingislove said: Make sure to use the lock options for rotation axes to only rotate on the Y axis. Otherwise it might be a rigidbody/physics causing this.
    In this case I must remove the rigidbody component of the character player or constraint the Rotate axis? below I post 2 screenshots of my settings

https://imgur.com/a/pyESvu4