hello.
I just completed a 2D roguelike tutorial. Right now, I'm making a roguelike in 3D.

How can I make the player face the direction of movement in 3D?
For example, when I press the 'D' key, I want the player to always look right in world coordinates.
Conversely, when pressing the 'A' key, I want the player to always look left.

I've been thinking and trying for hours, but I don't know how to do it properly, so I would appreciate it if you could give me a hint.

(I have ORK)
Post edited by sss on
  • Are you using this movement schematic from the roguelike tutorial?

You might run into an issue I had when transitioning to 3D from the 2D Grid Battle Tutorial:
    gamingislove said: For turning into movement direction with this setup, change the Change Position node's rotation setup:
    - rotate component: Transform, otherwise it'll try rotating with the attached rigidbody, which is set to be kinematic (i.e. not doing anything)
    - lock rotation: enable X and Z (i.e. it'll only rotate on the Y axis)
    Your Game Settings Default Horizontal Plane should be set to XZ. Look over the settings in the Change Position node; try the Face Direction option there. Or you can try using Rotate To nodes before Change Position.

Just throwing out some ideas for you. Maybe someone else has a better answer.
  • This depends on how you move the player. Most movement nodes have an option to face the movement direction (mainly for 3D), but as @Scyra said, you might need to change the rotate component setup of the node (also depending on your player's setup, e.g. how it's moved, etc.).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • ssssss
    edited August 2022
    Thank you for your reply , Scyra and gamingislove.
    It was helpful.

Yes, I'm using roughly the same as that schematic.
    I am using a Ray cast node and a Change position node.
    Players now face in the direction they are going.
    But I still can't solve the problem.

For example, each time I press the D key, the player will additionally turn to the right.
    In other words, if I press the D key 4 times, the player will go around and return to the starting position.

Regardless of the current player's direction, when I press the D key 4 times, I want the player to move 4 squares to the right from Initial position.

Raycast is the same.
    I want to look one square to the right of the player, regardless of the player's current direction.

Is there a way to do so? 
    Post edited by sss on
  • ssssss
    edited August 2022
    I found one solution. I'll make a note of it for myself.
    Suppose you want to press the D key to go right.

Prepare a object variable (eg "DirectionPlayer").
    Prepare 4 Check Transform nodes to determine if the player's Rotate is 0, 90, -180, or -90.

In each case, set the value of DirectionPlayer to (1,0,0), (0,0,1), (-1,0,0), (0,0,-1) .

And in the Change Position node, use this DirectionPlayer.

I succeeded in doing what I wanted to do.
    (The downside is that this method requires a lot of nodes.)

postscript
    Again, it may not work.
    Post edited by sss on
  • Maybe you can trade the 4 Check Transform nodes for one Orientation Fork?
  • Maybe post a screenshot of your schematic and some of the node settings (e.g. movement/rotation nodes) - that'd help figuring out what's going on :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you for your reply , Scyra and gamingislove.

>Scyra
    I looked into Orientation Fork.
    It's like a node that checks where another object is relative to the player.
    Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge, but I couldn't think of a way to replace it. sorry.

>gamingislove

Schematic

pattern 1
    I tried pressing the D key four times.
    If Face Direction is disabled.
    The character moves correctly, but the direction of the character is not changing.

pattern 2
    I tried pressing the D key four times.
    If Face Direction is enabled.
    Characters do not move correctly.
    But the direction of the character changes correctly.

I would appreciate it if there is a better way.
  • Disable Local Space - this uses the direction in local space of the moving combatant, so facing direction also changes the direction. Having it disabled uses it as a global direction.
  • ssssss
    edited August 2022
    Thank you. solved.

I actually tried disabling localspace once before asking the question. However, since the movement was strange, I misunderstood that this would be a mistake.

There was actually something to do in addition to disabling localspace.
    In the two ChangeVariable nodes, change the Operator item to "Add" instead of "Set".
    Now everything works properly.

I apologize for wasting your time on such a simple matter.
    Thank you very much.
    gamingislove and Scyra.
    Post edited by sss on
  • Hey, good job. About Orientation Fork: I use it From: Machine Object, To: Selected Data: cell, to see where the next grid cell is relative to the player and play appropriate turning animations. Anyway, it sounds like you're all set now. Good luck.