Hey there.
I was wondering if it is possible to toggle between different idle & walk animations.

I have a stealth mode that can be toggled on and off with the press of a button at any time. Is it possible to override the default walk & idle animations and play different animations when in this stealth mode?

I followed the RPG Playground tutorial and have my player movement & animations set up similarly. I am using a grid-based battle system with battle animations also set up.
  • edited August 2022
    There are a few ways to do it, largely depending on what your goal is (and legacy vs mecanim).

This is how mine is setup with mecanim:

I have an IsStealthed animator parameter that gets set from my controller, which then causes the transition from the normal walking movement to my stealthed walking movement. In addition, when stealth is set in the controller I add/remove a "stealth" status effect on the character. Then using this steal status effect in formulas (such as detection range), I can have ORK use the functionality without it needing to be tracked separately as it is all handled by the controller + animator if that makes sense.

Post edited by Acissathar on
  • As @Acissathar said, this mainly depends on your used animation system and how you use it.

Status effects are the best way to handle ORK's side of it, and they also allow overriding animations with your stealth animation setup - but this is only used for your movement animations in case you're using auto animations for them, mainly used in legacy animations.
    For Mecanim, when playing movement animations based on movement speed, you need a setup as explained above :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I am using the Legacy system. In Base/Control > Animations I have separate animations set up for Movement, Battle Movement, Stealth Movement etc. I added these Animations to my player combatant but I have no idea how to tell him when to use which (In this case with the toggle button). I am using a schematic to initiate stealth mode.

I looked at status effects but could not see how those affect the animations.

Sorry, this is my 1st time working with Ork's Animations system outside of the tutorial and I am still trying to figure out how everything connects and gets called.
  • Add the regular movement animations as (base) Animations and the battle movement as Animations (Battle).

The stealth animations shouldn't be added to the combatant - add it to a Stealth status effect instead. Whenever the effect is applied, it's animations will overrule the combatant's animations, so it'll use the stealth animations instead.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Cool, that worked. Thank you!