edited August 2022 in ORK Support
When you have Menu Screen -> Information -> Update every 1s that contains independent toggle group e.g. with 3 toggle buttons, it will always enable them ON every second it procs. It even bypasses the Unity Toggle Group rules. Doesn't matter what setup you use.
Post edited by Machal on
  • Never tried that - the Information menu part is for displaying information and not really interactable.

Can you give me more details on the setup you're using?
    E.g. are the toggles part of the UI box or a HUD that's added via the menu part?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited August 2022
    They are not part of anything, just independent child gameobject of the main UI box, that has 3 Unity toggle buttons that are part of a toggle group, since only one toggle has to be active at one time (haven't found anything in ORK to do this btw).
    Then I can just manually attach Interaction machine and put it to 'Value On Changed' part of the button.

It's not a big deal as an easy workaround is to create those toggle buttons in separate empty UI box and attach it to the menu screen with turned off update per second.
    Just found it weird, why would that UI box switch all toggle buttons ON, when they are not even related.
    Post edited by Machal on
  • I'll check it out, just needed the info how your UI prefabs are set up and where the toggles are placed :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Alright, tested it and found the issue.
    It's actually not the toggles being turned on again, it's due to the checkmark image being faded in/out to show the state.

UI boxes use the UI Color Changer component to fading the UI box in/out, updating colors in child objects (default setup).
    So, all you need to do is add a UI Color Changer component to the root of your toggles (but not the UI box) and disable In Children in the inspector. That'll let the UI box know that the child objects of that game object should not be updated and the toggles display as they should.
  • edited August 2022
    Great, thanks for the info.

However, where can I also disable overall update of the gameobject?

Gameobject with OnPointerEnter + OnPointerExit script will cause a blinking every 1s because the Menu updates every 1s. But there are some gameobjects I don't need updated but holds triggers for different stuff, like custom tooltips.

Also, using Typewriter feature resets the whole dialogue and retypes it each second.
    It can't be separated in 2 canvases or UI boxes, because I am resizing and moving the boxes.

Perhaps waiting for the update and re-doing it all in HUD with separate variables that will be able to be updatable separately will do the trick...but HUDs can't do typewriting...haha, it's like there is always something in the way.
    Post edited by Machal on
  • Well, not everything is compatible with each other - auto updating the Information menu part every second will update it's content. If you use typewriter here, that'll cause typewriter to happen again - it's not really a scenario that was intended to be used that way :)

I'll look into it to prevent typewriter happening again in that scenario.
  • Totally understand, but every tool is as strong as it's weakest feature. ORK 3 is very powerful and offers some crazy stuff, but then can't pull of some simple things as e.g. updating values separately under one canvas, so it blocks it's power anyway.

It would be a massive advantage, if you somehow manage to isolate separate gameobject or additional content parts and control their update settings while keeping them in their same canvas.
    But most of it will be doable, once we are able to put individual updating to HUD text content and the smooth value bar changes.
  • edited August 2022
    You can e.g. isolate them in this specific setup (toggle group or other things not generated by ORK's menu content) via the UI Color Changer component :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • edited August 2022
    Not generated by ORK, that means everything that goes absolutely outside of ORK. If you even pass a variable value to an ORK variable, it doesn't isolate it. My 'OnPointerEnter' script is just enabling and disabling variables (ofc also for ORK) and it is not isolated. I guess it's far off the plan, alright then :)
    Post edited by Machal on
  • edited August 2022
    The problem here happens with Combatant menu part being updated by variables as well. And also when it isn't updated at all (which means that it has some hidden updating mechanism).

It does it with your tooltip HUD which is blinking when I hover over e.g. a status vaule. My tooltip hud has fade in/out animation which just happens for it to be animating in and out like retarded.

This is definitely a bug as you have no way of displaying an animated Tooltip UI info from a menu or HUD that is being updated.

Menu images are not blinking, it's just an information update, so the input shouldn't be reset during this too.

EDIT - I've removed my OnPointerEnter script and put it there again and it miraculously started working....does ORK has some internal cache or something? Looks the whole menu was somehow stuck with some previous settings. It could also be Editor issue since I haven't built the project but I doubt it.

EDIT 2 - so on a new day it decided to go full retard again and blink with tooltips. This time removing the script doesn't help. No idea what caused the fix yesterday then since I've been playing with it for hours. Needs to be looked at.
    Post edited by Machal on
  • Tooltip HUD will fade out/int when tooltips change only if there's a short time (even only a frame) without a tooltip.
    E.g. tooltips for a menu's buttons, the gap between the buttons has no tooltip, so that'll cause fading out the tooltip and fading in the new one when the cursor goes over the next button.

Updating content will cause any used UI Color Changer to update colors on anything it manages. This is due to content being updated can cause new prefabs to be spawned as part of the UI, so they need to be registered and their color changed to the current color of the UI.

Hard to say what's going on with your script without knowing what it does (and it's code) and the overall setup of the UI it's used on.
  • By 'colors' for UI Color Changer you also mean like Alpha color of the overall UI?

For now it works, so I'll just not poke in it. I can't really remember everything I've did in the changes so hard to tell really. But I've hovered mouse cursor over tooltips that I know are not being updated and then went back and it was suddenly fine.

Maybeee, can there be later some 'delay' setup for tooltips in case the menu is often oupdated?
  • Yes - color also includes alpha or only alpha changes.
    That's e.g. why the toggles where showing the wrong value, due to their value being displayed by fading the toggle state image's alpha value.

I'll look into tooltips when the screen updates.
  • There appears to be some canvas layer issue. Happens on menu screens that are part of higher layer menu screen or attached HUDs directly in the UI box with UI content script.

OnPointerEnter registers it properly, turns makinom bool variable which turns on my HUD - Information type that just displayes HUD Text Variables with the proper information.

Doesn't flicker IF the Menu screen is on the same or higher layer than the actual HUD displaying the info. Unfortunately can't have game with one canvas layer :)
  • This might be related to a Unity UI and pointer issue that appeared sometime ago. Makinom 2.5 added a workaround fix for the internal UI handling in ORK/Makinom, but your custom component might still be affected by it.

The issue is that the cursor being over child objects no longer registered as being cursor over in the component in Unity 2021.2 and newer.