The next ORK update (version 3.7) will feature a massive update to the class system. I'd like to give you an overview of the coming changes/additions and get your feedback and feature wishes regarding classes :)

Single-Class System (old)

Until now, ORK allowed a combatant to have a single class. The class could be changed in schematics via the Change Class node.
This'll still be available and can be used together with the new system.

Additionally, the single-class system will get a few upgrades. A combatant no longer requires to have a class selected.
Until now, if the combatant's setup didn't select a class, the default class (first in the editor list) will be automatically selected. From now on, a combatant that doesn't select a class will not have a class, so it's now completely optional.

There'll also be a new menu screen part to select the single-class of the combatant from all classes that are available to the combatant.
The combatant's settings can define the combatant's starting class (like now) and additionally add multiple classes that are available to the combatant. New schematic nodes can also add/remove classes and research trees will also be able to add classes.

Class Slot System (new)

This new, optional system will allow a combatant to equip classes. Similar to equipment slots and equipment, class slots will allow a combatant to equip a class on a slot.
Yes, that means a combatant can have multiple classes :)

Class slots can define which parts of a class contribute to the combatant. E.g. you could have a primary class slot that uses everything from the class (abilities, status bonuses, equipment) and a secondary class slot that only adds the class's abilities or equipment. There'll be an option for each individual part of the class (modifiers, status bonuses, abilities, etc.) and I'm also looking into adding a factor for status value changes, e.g. giving only 50% of bonuses/status development.
Classes define on which slots they can be equipped, either on all slots, only defined slots or all slots excluding defined slots.

Naturally, there'll also be a new menu screen part (like the Equipment part) to equip a class on a slot. Like the new single-class part, it'll have all classes that are avaialble to the combatant listed.
The combatant's settings define which class slots (and optionally equipped classes on them) the combatant starts with. Schematics can add/remove slots with new nodes and research trees will also be able to add class slots to a combatant.

That's pretty much it - happy to get your freedback and feature wishes for the new class systems :)
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • This is a masterclass ! =D

I only hope I can change these classes in slot with schematics =)
    This feature will add large panel lof possibilities =)
  • It sounds like this would make it very easy to implement a "jobs" system, such as I've enjoyed in several RPG's. I'll definitely use some of these features. Sounds good.
  • This sounds great, I had an idea around what was effectively a main class with subclasses to be equipped and this sounds like it'll make things so much easier.

A few requests/wishes (that may already be do-able with schematics):

1. Ability to restrict viewing based on requirements (item, variable etc.) and/or tie class to an item. This might be more of a thing to do in schematics, but my thought is something like in FF14. One of the base jobs is an Arcanist. If you equip an orb, you then have access to the Scholar job. Similarly, if you equip this other orb, you then have access to the Summoner job. Both are Arcanists, but depending on that item you equip, how you deviate in that second job changes.

2. I think you touched on this, but being able to define what you do / don't keep from other classes along with certain ranges (maybe flag at each point?). Yakuza Like a Dragon only keeps a few specific skills from other jobs, and some stat increases from level 1-30, but then stats from every 5 levels onward in that job.

3. Lastly, abilities replacing from subclass. If you have a primary class of Archer for example, and then a secondary class of Wizard, you'd like to replace your Shoot ability with a Magic Shoot. Removing the Wizard secondary class though would then return Magic Shoot to Shoot as well. I'm sure this is probably also already do-able with a schematic, but figured I'd throw it out there just in case.
  • This is amazing. The first thing that comes to mind is seperate storage for each class like in Final Fantasy 14.
    Currently making: Real-Time Diablo-like ARPG
  • Thanks for the feedback so far :)

@omeegaa
    Yes, class slots and equipped classes can be changed via schematics.

@Acissathar
    Thanks for the input!
    I'll see what I can manage to add in the first iteration of the system. Though, some things might need to be handled via conditions (e.g. use condition in an ability) or schematics (there'll be schematics available like the equip/unequip schematics of equipment).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Small update: The system is already working pretty good so far.

When status development is used by the class slot, you can optionally use a factor (general factor for all and additional a per-status value factor) to define how much of the status development is added.
    E.g. a factor of 0.5 will only use half of the development value.

Also, you can define up to which level of the status development it's used. Since this is using a regular value selection field, you can e.g. use a formula to limit it to half of the equipped class's level (or half of the combatant level, etc.).

Ability development can also limit the base/class level that's used, so you can lock out higher level abilities as well.
  • edited September 2022
    @gamingislove

Wow. That will be a great update. I was surprized to encounter this thread.)

Suggestion.
    A way for one class to block other classes from equipping.
    For example if you equip Paladin class you can not equip a Necromant class.
    Or you can equip it but some bonuses are limited.

(may be it is already doable by some class equip condition)
    Post edited by TextusGames on
  • Happy to report that the feature is almost done, a release next week is on the horizon, unless I spend too much time with Splatoon 3 :D

There are a bunch of useful new HUD features for classes coming - e.g. adding status values to a HUD showing a class will show the class's experience status value. Also, a HUD ability list will show the abilities of a class when the HUD shows a class.

Classes can be sold in shops and also be set as group classes, i.e. they're available to all members of a group. Unlike abilities this is on a per-class basis, i.e. a class is either learned by the group or a single combatant.

And, like equipment, classes can automatically use schematics when they're initialized (for a combatant), added/removed to/from a combatant or equipped/unequipped on a slot.

The class slot menu can also preview changes that come when equipping a class - also taking the currently selected slot's limitations into account.

@TextusGames
    That'll be possible - thanks for the suggestion.
    Classes can define equip conditions similar to equipment, i.e. any kind of status check.
  • edited October 2022
    @gamingislove This sounds nice. I guess it still would be possible to do not use a class at all? I do not want levels nor I want classes :-)

I need a Ultima Online like system. Leveling skills by using them. Defining titles for professions due the value of a skill. I would just have to write my own schemes, correct?
    Post edited by thomas123 on
  • The system is already avaialble, and yes - classes are completely optional, so you don't have to use them if you don't want to (both single-class and class slots).