Hello,

I'm trying to get footsteps without footsteppers, is that possible?

Also I don't see a menu to set up a loading screen.
  • edited September 2022
    Just purchase Footstepper to support GIL. It's affordable and powerful, you won't need any other solution for footsteps ever.

Can literally get it up and running within 5 minutes.
    Post edited by supportreport1 on
  • Agreed, footstepper is a fantastic solution, we‘ve been very happy with it. In the long run I can guarantee you would be glad to utilize it
  • I asked this question because I try to add as few elements as possible in the project ^^ And then there is always this apprehension of struggling to use it (I'm a little pressed for time). as far as possible a solution integrated into ORK if it exists would be better otherwise I would take footsteppers^^
  • edited September 2022
    As said it takes 5 minutes, if you are pressed for time this will definitely be faster than trying to do some sort of workaround with ORK.
    Post edited by supportreport1 on
  • edited September 2022
    You can use ORK machines, but it's effectively just scripting it yourself but using the visual nodes of schematic vs just a small chunk of code. Without using a pre-built solution you'll need to do one of the following:

1. Play a sound every X seconds when moving. This is probably the "easiest" since you can just run a tick machine and check the movement speed and if it's more than 0, add to a timer and once over a certain point play a footstep sound. However, this is probably the least accurate and doesn't take into account different blend speeds if you're using blending animation.

2. Add animation events to your animations to call a function in the script that then plays a sound. This requires you to ensure every object using said animation has the script with the animation function or else you'll run into exceptions. Blending with events can also be a little wonky.

3. Set up animation curves on every animation and the animator for left foot + right foot (foot on ground = 1, foot elsewhere = <1) and then using a tick machine or script to read that animator value and once it crosses a threshold (1.0) play a sound. These are blending for you and since you can control the threshold and the curves would be the most accurate, however, it definitely requires the most setup with 2 curves per animation.

Edit: 4. Can't believe I forgot this, can use colliders on your feet that when they collide (using triggers) you call a script/machine and play a footstep sound. This is also pretty easy and generally is already adjusted for different speeds since it's a child object of the foot. The downside is that small movement blends (like shuffling feet) or uneven terrain can cause multiple sounds to fire at once.
    Post edited by Acissathar on
  • Ok I see, it's really much longer to do it by hand ^^ Thanks for the opinion, I just have to take footsteppers x)
  • edited September 2022
    @omeegaa Honestly it really just depends on your project, I think all situations can work for each other, but depending on how important it is, it might not be worth using indepth solutions. For example, if you're stuck in a massive house where the only surface is a wood floor, and you don't have different movement speeds( or a hard split of say 0 - 3 - 5 with no or little inbetween ) then the option to just play a sound every few seconds while moving is probably easy to do and will accomplish everything.

However, if you're making something with varied surfaces or environments and want different sounds to play, and/or you have blending between speeds often then you're better off with one of the more in-depth solutions so you can get the info for the correct sound to play or sync up the movement and sounds.
    Post edited by Acissathar on