Hi!

When testing my game (phase battle with grid), I realize it's not easy for a new player to understand what is the exact affect range of an enemy's ability. So I was wondering if there's a way to highlight the affect range of the cells that will be affected by an enemy's skill while that enemy uses that skill.

I've checked the settings in Battle Grid Highlights and couldn't find how to do that. I've also looked for a way to achieve that with the skill's schematic, but couldn't find how. Maybe with grid cell events...?

Thanks!
  • I don't think there's a way to do that currently. I was looking into something similar; in Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre series it briefly displays enemy movement range and attack range before they actually move or attack, so it looks like the enemy is "choosing" just like the player. I liked that, even though it slows down gameplay, and I agree, it helps new players.
  • I'll look into it - currently you could use a Select Grid Cells node to get cells e.g. based on a range template and spawn prefabs on them.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre series it briefly displays enemy movement range and attack range before they actually move or attack, so it looks like the enemy is "choosing" just like the player.
    Yeah! It's those little things you don't notice when you play a game... until you start designing them yourself and you realize it was a good idea haha!
    I'll look into it - currently you could use a Select Grid Cells node to get cells e.g. based on a range template and spawn prefabs on them.
    Oh right, didn't think of that. I'll have to think how to spawn an individual prefab on each individual tile and then remove them hmmm... I'll look into it! Thanks for the tip!
  • max_power said: Oh right, didn't think of that. I'll have to think how to spawn an individual prefab on each individual tile and then remove them hmmm... I'll look into it! Thanks for the tip!
    The Spawn Prefab node can spawn a prefab on each cell that was stored in selected data via the Select Grid Cells node - and the Destory Prefab node can destroy them all (via prefab ID -1 to use all spawned instances of the prefab).
    Destroy Prefab node only works when used in the same schematic, though - when needed in different schematics, you can use the Spawn Prefab node's Use Spawned Object settings to store them e.g. in a global selected data to have access to them from everywhere.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok thanks! I'm actually already using those nodes for other purposes. When I saw your previous post, I thought about using them, but reading your 2nd post, I'm getting a better idea on how to use them. Didn't know about the ID -1 though!

Thanks, I'll work on that today!
  • edited September 2022
    Ok, got it to mostly work, but I have a strange issue happening. I've been able to make the prefabs spawn at the correct place (it was easy thanks to your tips), but when I destroy the prefabs using ID-1, the game destroys... some of the prefabs... but not all of them...

In the image below, I spawned green cells on all tiles within range 2 of the blonde guy. After destroying them the game removed 4 of the prefabs... and left 3 other hanging around. I tried adding a Wait node after the Destroy prefab node, but it didn't change a thing. The Grid cells that still have a green cell over them are all ground cells.

Update: I've duplicated the Destroy Prefabs node 5 times in a row and now it removes all prefabs lol. At first, I tried duplicating it once, and it removed 2 more prefabs, but 2 were still left behind... It seems 5 nodes in a row is enough haha!

Post edited by max_power on
  • Hm, I'll look into it, might be a bug.
  • edited September 2022
    Yep, that's a bug - but you can work around it for now by using Destroy After Time in the Destroy Prefab node, e.g. with a time of 0.1 seconds.

Will be fixed in the next update (though sadly this came too late for the just released ORK 3.7 :D).
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Ok! Glad I could help with the bug finding :)
    Will be fixed in the next update (though sadly this came too late for the just released ORK 3.7 :D).
    I'll live :)