Hi!

I have two questions concerning the save/load screen:

1- On the save file, I was wondering if it was possible to show the portraits of the characters in the team at the moment of the save.

For example: https://www.gameuidatabase.com/gameData.php?id=474#&gid=1&pid=3

I'd like to do something similar to that. I've been able to make the menu, the boxes and the input buttons work correctly, all I'm missing is how to place the portraits.

2- Also, for each character, I'd like to show a different image based on their class. So if the first character, who starts as a fighter, has become a knight, I'd like to show a portrait of them as a knight.

Is it possible to do these two things?

Thanks!
  • Absolutely, what you need to do is have a dedicated string variable for each party position. (ex. player 1, player 2, player 3, etc.) This variable is saved as a global and you will place it in the "File Info" of the Save Game Setting. These variables will store your player character portraits using Text Mesh Pro sprite asset feature. Text Mesh Pro allows you to show images between text and Ork/Makinom uses Text Mesh Pro as its default text display. So to put it simply.
    -Create a Text Mesh Pro Sprite Asset
    -Place all the Portraits you will use for you classes
    -Place them in the Resources folder
    -Use in the Player String Variable
    -Place the Player String Variable into "File Info" of Save Game Setting
    You might need to adjust the positioning of the portraits via "Sprite Glyph Table" in the Sprite Asset of your created portraits.
    The variables you use are saved in that file and will display the portrait currently set to that variable, you can test it by changing the variable to a different portrait and saving to a different file. This is the method I currently use.
  • edited September 2022
    Ooooh thanks for the reply. I never thought to use a string variable to show the image.

I'll try to work on this. Thanks for the step by step :)

Your UI looks great btw!
    Post edited by max_power on
  • Ok I've tried what you said. I've been able to create a sprite asset with all the portraits and I understand how to show a variable in the File Info. However, I'm stuck at creating the variable.

When I create the string variable, what do I need to enter in the string value field? I don't understand how to tell Ork to pick a specific sprite in the Sprite Asset.

Also when you said ''what you need to do is have a dedicated string variable for each party position'', do I need to do this through a custom schematic where I check what character is at what position (I understand how to do this), or is there a way to do this automatically in Ork? I know how to create a variable for each character, but not for each member position slot.

• max_power said: When I create the string variable, what do I need to enter in the string value field?
    Oh, I didn't realize some of the information was cut off in my original post. Use this link.
    digitalnativestudios.com/textmeshpro/docs/rich-text/#sprite
    You can place the sprite tag straight into the variable.
    max_power said: Also when you said ''what you need to do is have a dedicated string variable for each party position'', do I need to do this through a custom schematic where I check what character is at what position (I understand how to do this), or is there a way to do this automatically in Ork? I know how to create a variable for each character, but not for each member position slot.
    You can use Initial Variables (in the Game Settings) to set your global. Or create a schematic and have it run at the start of your game. You will just have to manually keep track of the variables each time you add a new party members or the members change class.

If you want to make the process a bit easier, use Object Variables for each character, set a Sprite Tag Variable for each potential class. When you want to update the save portraits variable, just run a schematic that checks to see how many player are in your party, then check to see what class each player is, next use a string fork based on your classes and get the object variable(sprite tag) from the player and set it to the save file variable of that player.

I hope this helps.
  • Oooh I see! Thanks for the link, I now understand what needs to placed into the variables.

And yeah, I'll be able to track manually who is where and what class they are. That shouldn't be too complicated with my game system.

Thanks a bunch for your time and your explanations, it's really appreciated! I'll give it a try tomorrow!
  • All right! Thanks to your help, I've been able to achieve the result I want rather quickly this morning!

Thanks again :)
  • @max_power
    That's good to hear. I'm glad I could help!