To clarify; by what I mean 'with tweaks', is that I'm following it exactly with the exception of, I want to use my own character (already rigged) for the animations and model instead of Ellen. To that end, I have my character model already imported with rigged bones, and for animations I'm using Mixamo animations set up with my own custom Animation Controller mirroring the tutorial Ellens as close as I can. Despite this, she's still stuck in a T Pose no matter what I do; I can't walk or move, only rotate. However I know the model works as I was using it with another framework in a previous project with different animation methodologies.

imageimage

Admittedly I'm very new to Animation, so I'm willing to break it down step by step with everything I'm done to get to the bottom of this. Thanks everyone!
  • Most likely your animator or animator controller setup is wrong - as even without ORK animations, if that's set up correctly the game object would play it's initial animation.

Can you show the animator component and animator controller setup?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited October 2022
    So I figured it out; I would post what I did; but it was really a super frustrating and all day affair/fight with Unity's animator component as I'm learning that on the fly; so for better, that's solved.

However I have another issue; my character is stuck, and won't move forward or around, and can only rotate. When I change from Animator Root Motion (what the tutorial wants me to do) to Character Controller, it does indeed work, but I'd really like to try to figure out the root issue.

Or, would you really suggest from a technical perspective to just use the Character Controller method and not to bother with the Animator Root motion? Either way is fine, I just want to be optimal and future proof my project against future issues.
    Post edited by FeldFour on
  • That mainly depends on your setup - both are good and valid methods to do it. The 3D action RPG series uses root motion due to, well, the Unity assets using them and working well for the attack animations.

You can naturally also move via character controller and not use root motion - or a mixture of both, e.g. blocking controls during attacks and enabling root motion on the animator again (you'll have to use a Change Fields node for that to change the setting on the Animator component).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Got it fixed; the parameters you set in your Animator controller (in this case, 'Speed') and what you set in 'Player Controls' (under Base/Control, in this case, the Forward Speed Parameter) must be exactly the same.

It might bear mentioning in the tutorial that this is indeed what the player is setting up and that they're one in the same. Now that I got it figured it it's obviously intuitive, but it's not assumed knowledge.

Either way, it's figured out and thanks for the help!
  • Yes, parameter names must match, 'speed' isn't 'Speed' - but that's animator knowledge and not really up to ORK or Makinom :)