Hello,

I am new to messing with unity and practically everything here but I wanted to ask a question about ease of use and changing a main feature of ORK/Makinom before deep diving into it. Would it be possible to change the 'world movement' from the pokemon style format that it is in now to a more 'tile based' movement?

For example, straight from my design doc:
The tile map system is the way that players navigate through the world, it is the bread and butter of the entire game so-to-speak. This system will be how the player moves, finds new locations, finds events to interact with, completes quests, and would also be able to move their ship.

The tile map system would also display icons/change colors over different sections that the player can see and start moving to if they wanted.

Straight example:
I am attempting to make each square display a description of the area when the player moves over it, something that I am sure I can figure out later on.
  • You can do anything you want, actually :)
    ORK's built-in player/camera controls are just there to get you started, you can use any custom controls you want (see the documentation for details).

If it's more like locations on a map, you could e.g. use interaction machines for click interaction on them and handle the movement via their schematics.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you for the information, ill most likely try to learn all that I can about ORK, I appreciate it.
  • I'd definitely recommend to go through the tutorials first to learn your way around before delving into custom setups. While you may want to do other styles for your own games, the core features and mechanics are still the same for all :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited October 2022
    @Rivinex I had some similar questions when I started 1-2 weeks ago with ORK. I am into the tutorials as well, even it takes some time. But you get a very good feeling about what ORK can do. I am doing the full "3D RPG Playground". Be aware that the "Status Develop Tutorial" and "UI Setup" needs to be done before.

For me ORK takes away lots of manual programming and standardizes the way of configuring all the things you need for a RPG. There seems lots of experience be put in over time.

Before I did the GameDev.tv courses to programm everything myself (Inventory, Stats System, Quest System, ...). ORK already did this in an efficient way and much more complete as I could have.

The outcomes of ORK are transparent. That means ORK relys on Unity features you can look into, if you want to learn more. E.g. Scripts, Scribtable Objects, Controller Setups and more.

Thus you (should be) able to change everything to your needs (depends on the effort you want to put in of course :-)

@gamingislove please correct me, if I am wrong :-)
    Post edited by thomas123 on
  • Only correction I have is that you don't need to do the status system setup tutorials first, as you can just import the completed setup and start from there. It's recommended to do them at some point, though, as those features are the core of your RPG system and it's better to know about how to do it :)