edited December 2022 in ORK Support
Hi!

In my game, characters pick skills using a battle menu where all the skills are listed by Type ID order. This order is important because I want the player to see all skills at the same time, but I want skills to be grouped by type.

Now, I have assigned shortcuts to the battle menu, and the player can use keys 1 through 9 to use skills.

All of this works well... until a character learns a skill and forgets another (in my game, every time you learn a skill, you forget a weaker one). So I tried to set up ''Default Auto Arrange Slots'' for keys 1 through 9, but I'm having an issue where skills aren't listed the same way in the battle menu and in the shortcut assignments, after learning and forgetting a skill.

For example: a character knows 6 skills, the first three skills (let's name them A, B and C) are of type 1, and the last three (D, E, F) are of type 2. Now let's say the skills are initially in this order:

A - B - C - D - E - F

So they're bound to keys 1 through 6 in the same order. So far, everything works correctly when playing the game.

Let's say the character forgets skill B and learns skill G, that's also a Type 1 skill (so it has to be close to A and C). Now the skill will be ordered in the battle menu like this:

A - C - G - D - E - F

However, they'll be bound to keys 1 - 3 - 2 - 4 - 5 - 6. The reason is (I think) C kept its key, and G took B's key.

And obviously, this is completely counter intuitive for the player.

Is there a way to make the skill order and their shortcuts match while keeping the Type ID order?

Thanks!

Note: a character doesn't necessarily has 3 skills of Type 1 and 3 skills of Type 2. So I can't set up 2 differents Auto Arrange Slots for keys 1 - 3 and for keys 4 - 6, since it can vary from one character to another.
Post edited by max_power on
  • Shortcut slots have no order - they have what is assigned to them.

Auto arrange will only move slots around to fill empty slots, e.g. if slot 1, 2 and 3 are assigned and 1 gets removed, 2 and 3 will move up to 1 and 2.

There's currently no setting to do this automatically, but you can e.g. use schematics to change shortcuts.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Aaah didn't think of arranging them with a schematic.

Ok thanks, I'll be able to make it work!
  • Next update will add a node to sort shortcuts stored in selected data, that might come in handy.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yeah, I think could use this! Thanks!