How do I get the "princess" from the "2d grid battle" to be a part of a different character controller that doesn't use the ork spawner?

It seems the ork spawner is what puts the combatant components on the princess prefab, but the other character controller I want to use needs it's own spawner.

I just need the functionality of interacting with ork npcs and scene changers and keeping ork the stats, status changes, inventory, ui and menus (from the "3d playground" etc...)

I tried adding the "create combatant" component to the other character controller, and setting it to the player and princess combatant... It produces the "combatant" component on the different character controller at runtime that looks like the one on the "princess" when it's spawned with the ork spawner,

, But the different character controller cannot interact with the dialogue lady or the scene changer.

The other character controller has a rigidbody2d and a square collider and I put the child objects from the princess prefab on it as well.

Is there a way to work this right?
  • If you don't spawn the player via ORK, ORK will not now that the game object is your player, so an Interaction Controller on it will not be recognized, scene changers or other trigger machines don't recognize the player entering them, etc.

Either spawn your player via ORK or use a schematic (e.g. via Auto Machine) on the game object that uses a Set ORK Player node to let ORK know about the player.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited November 2022
    Hi @gamingislove I just showcased the approach you are suggesting on my last video about ORK3 v3.9 and Game Kit Controller, I'm not spawning ORK player but using a schematic to Join the active group and set the ORK Player, I did find that Set ORK Player was not enough for the Interaction Machine to detect the interaction, I had also to add a Set Player (Makinom) to make it work, here's the screenshot of the schematic

Post edited by RustedGames on
  • Thank you guys. I'll check it out when I get off work
  • @gamingislove just checking if you were able to reproduce it or is it by design
  • Somewhat by design - next update will add a new node to make it a bit easier, where you can just set a combatant's game object. The current nodes aren't exactly doing that, rather setting the combatant on that as the player.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • When will the next update come out?
  • edited November 2022
    Ok actually I'm just gonna level with you guys because I don't want to have to wait for an update to continue development.

Basically I wanted to use the other character controller because it's asset pack does a few things that I want in my game that the ork tutorials don't set up.

1. It has point-and-click/touch movement in the open world

2. It saves the characters position in the scene after every movement separate from the ork saves and allows it's separate save system to be reset when needed in a simple way... (so if you leave the scene for example to go to the grid battle scene from the ork framework, when you win and get sent back to the world scene, you will be right in the same space you left from (an effect similar to old school final fantasy battles but with a grid based battle scene instead of it's normal setup))

(this is why I made the other post about spawn points... It doesn't seem like the solution given there will help as I don't see a way to record the position of the player before scene change, nor do I see a way to communicate a recorded spawn position in the battle scene as a the new spawn point to send the player back to after the battle)

So, within the ork framework...

1. Is there a way to set up point-and-click/touch movement in the non-combat scenes (town/world)

2. Is there a way to auto-save position when moving through non-combat scenes so that moving to a separate battle scene and back will not override the position save?

2b. If so, would it be possible to save the position in the town/world separately from a save state in an ongoing battle? -

-2b example - (Basically I'm walking in the world, a hunting enemy runs towards me and triggers a scene change to a grid battle scene. My world position was saved, but during the battle I also have an auto-save on every turn so the player can quit the game the come back later at that same point in the battle, but after the battle, the player is still sent back to the town/would scene in the last saved position from before the battle)?

Post edited by Orochimaru on
  • @RustedGames where can I find your video?
  • @Orochimaru here it is:
    How-to ORK Framework - Using Game Kit Controller Part 2
    The implementation here is meant to comply with GKC setup, where the main player already exists on the scene, and it is child of a GameManager hierarchy.

If the asset you plan to use allow you to spawn the player like ORK does, then you can perfectly fine can have a dedicated combatant prefab for non combat scenes, and a conditional prefab to spawn a separate combatant during battles with other playercontroller setup. Yet you need to handle the ORK Controls Player block to cover both scenarios.
  • Thank you. I'll look into it
  • Orochimaru said: 1. Is there a way to set up point-and-click/touch movement in the non-combat scenes (town/world)
    ORK's built-in Mouse player control type can do that.
    Orochimaru said: 2. Is there a way to auto-save position when moving through non-combat scenes so that moving to a separate battle scene and back will not override the position save?
    Sure, this is handled in your battle start schematic to store the scene and position and load back into the scene and position in your battle end schematic. There are example tutorials available for such teleport battles: battle start schematic and battle end schematics.
    Orochimaru said: 2b. If so, would it be possible to save the position in the town/world separately from a save state in an ongoing battle? -
    Generally, yes - you can also save a position per scene using Set Scene Position node (instead of Store Scene node, which stores the current scene and position). You can also use variables to do any custom data storage, e.g. position.
    However, ORK doesn't save battles during battle.
  • Thank you for the info. I'll check it out in a bit...

So you are saying ork can't save during battle at all? So the battle can't be paused when a player exist the app, then unpaused when the player loads back in?

There is no "save state" option similar to emulators that can save on old Nintendo games that weren't designed with save functions? (I think the emulator just pauses the game without resetting it and the emulator it's self is what shuts down or something like that)

Or is the grid position and statuses of the combatants recorded and stored anywhere during the battle , which could be saved and loaded? (gonna be asking a similar question when the inevitable "possible multiplayer" conversation comes up in the future lol), but yeah I'm guessing that info is kept track of, right? Is there a way to access it with a schematic or within the code or something?
  • ORK's save game system doesn't save the state of a battle.
    As long as the app isn't closed, switching to another app should keep the state, but that's Unity keeping it alive and is independent of ORK.
  • Oh ok well I'm going to experiment with that part
  • it seems to be working as you explained