edited December 2022 in General Support
I attempted to use the "Start Menu" and "Save Point" setups from the "3D Playground" tutorial with the "town" scene I set up with the "2D Grid Battle" tutorial. Every time I try to save game I get the error below after the final save question in the save menu (right when the game is supposed to be saved) and unity pauses.

ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
System.IO.Path.IsPathRooted (System.String path) (at :0)
System.IO.Path.InsecureGetFullPath (System.String path) (at :0)
System.IO.Path.GetFullPath (System.String path) (at :0)
System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory (System.String path) (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.PersistentDataPathSaveGameFileHandler.SaveFile (System.Int32 index, System.String data) (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.SaveGameHandler.SaveFile (System.Int32 index, System.String data) (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.SaveGameHandler.Save (System.Int32 index) (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.UI.SaveGameControl.ShowSaving (System.Int32 index) (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.UI.SaveGameControl.BoxClosed (GamingIsLove.Makinom.UI.IUIBox origin) (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.Components.UIBoxComponent.DoClosed () (at <525346225096415fbefb47e945a444dd>:0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.Components.UIBoxComponent.Closed () (at <525346225096415fbefb47e945a444dd>:0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.UI.UIStateChange.Use (GamingIsLove.Makinom.BaseWaitForAnim waitForAnim, GamingIsLove.Makinom.Notify callback, System.Boolean wait) (at <525346225096415fbefb47e945a444dd>:0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.Components.UIBoxComponent.DoClose () (at <525346225096415fbefb47e945a444dd>:0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.Schematics.Schematic.EndSetup () (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.Schematics.Schematic.EndSchematic () (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.Schematics.Schematic.ExecuteNextNode () (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.Schematics.Schematic.NodeFinished (System.Int32 next) (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.Schematics.Schematic.Tick () (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.MachineHandler+MachineUpdate.Tick () (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.Maki.FireTick () (at :0)
GamingIsLove.Makinom.MakinomHandler.Update () (at :0)

Edit: i noticed that when i post the error message it cuts some numbers out every time they occur. the part that keeps saying (at :0) actual has "<d6232873609549b8a045fa15811a5bd3" but with a "greater than" sign at the end in the space in between the "at" and the ":" and it's the same in every instance.
Post edited by Orochimaru on
  • edited December 2022
    Ok i actually fixed my own problem but I wanted to point something out and ask a few questions.

I noticed in the "file info" section of the "save game settings", the "name" field is empty on the completed "3D Playground" project I
    downloaded, but the tutorial for the "3D Playground" says to put "<filename (<time)
    <playername, Lvl <playerlevel
    <area"

all with the greater than sign at the end of the words that start with the less than sign (you know what I mean. this post wont show those words if I quoted then correctly)

Anyway, I deleted what the tutorial told me to put there, and now the save point works fine.

My question, now, is, where is the save data stored when that field is left empty?

where is it stored while its running in the unity editor?

where is it stored on an exported version of the finished game on pc or mobile?

is it player prefs?

how do I control where the save files are stored?
    Post edited by Orochimaru on
  • Orochimaru said: My question, now, is, where is the save data stored when that field is left empty?
    That is just the info text that's displayed in save/load game menus for your save files. Changing that has no impact on where the data is stored or what content is stored.
    Orochimaru said: where is it stored while its running in the unity editor?
    That depends on your OS and the Unity project's company/game name you defined, e.g. on Windows it's stored in /Users/YourUserName/CompanyName/GameName/ or someting like that.
    Orochimaru said: where is it stored on an exported version of the finished game on pc or mobile?

is it player prefs?

how do I control where the save files are stored?
    That depends on your setup in UI > Save Game Settings - the Save File Type defines that. You can also extend that with custom save locations.
    Check out the help text of that setting, it has information on where the different options save the data (or at least where to check in the Unity documentation where it is).
    E.g. if you use the PlayerPrefs save file type, it'll store it in PlayerPrefs.

Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok I see. thank you for the response