edited January 2023 in ORK Support
In the spirit of keeping my topic quantity down, I'm editing this post to add a couple other issues I'm having.

QUESTION # 1. So I created a new status effect called Knockdown. It blocks all actions while in effect. It is set to end after 1 turn, but it never ends. The affected combatant just stops getting turns. They appear in the turn order display at the end of the list for an instant, and then are removed right away without ever getting the turn.

If I attack them, then they snap out of it, and can act normally again (End On Attack is enabled for this).

The status WILL get removed if I use the Battle Turns setting, or the Time setting, but the regular Turn Start or Turn End settings don't seem to work.

I'm wondering if this is a bug?

https://ibb.co/MZtF1xT

QUESTION # 2. Is it possible to reward all party members the same EXP reward from battles including the party members that are not in the active party? It appears only the party members that finish a battle get EXP currently in the 3D RPG Playground project.

QUESTION # 3. After every player turn, I want to check if ALL enemies in battle have a certain status effect (the Knockdown effect mentioned above), if they do, trigger an option to do a special group type attack. If this sounds familiar, yes, it's ripped (inspired) straight from the Persona series' All Out Attack mechanic.

Thanks! Slowly but surely my dream battle system is coming to life thanks to this framework!
Post edited by racefan56 on
  • No worries about opening a lot of different topics :)

1) The Block All Actions option of a status effect completely blocks the combatant from having a turn, so it never has a turn to reduce the duration. To counter this, you can enable Auto Start Turn in your turn based battle system's settings.

2) That's set up in Battles > Battle End, the Base Settings have options to manage how experience is distributed. You'll want to enable Whole Party to have all player group members receive exp, not just those who participated in battle. Also, enabling Dead Receive Exp will also have dead combatants in the group get exp.

3) Check out the Turn End Schematics, either in the general settings for all combatants or individual combatant's Schematic Settings. They allow you to start a schematic at the end of a combatant's turn to do stuff like that.
    The schematic can e.g. use an actor of type Enemies (Battle) to have all enemies of the player available to check.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2023
    Thanks for the reply, and thanks for answering my barrage of questions haha.

1. It seems since I have the Turn Based Mode set to Multi Turns, the option for Auto Start Turn isn't available. Is there a way around the issue for the Multi Turns mode?

I got it reacting to all enemies being knocked down now as intended, just with a console log at the moment though, didn't have much time today to flesh out the actual attack part.
  • edited January 2023
    1) Will look into it.
    An alternative setup would be to not use Block All Actions (which is a 'no turn' setup) and block the individual actions instead, i.e. block attack/defend/etc., block all abilities and items.

Edit: Forgot there already is a solution for this :D
    Change the End After setting to use Battle Turn End instead of Turn End. The battle turn is independent of a combatant's turn, so it'll reduce duration even if the combatant can't have turns.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2023
    That alternative set up works great for my purposes! Thanks!

Is it possible to get access to the Attack Modifier Attribute of an attack used on an enemy?

Currently I've got a different schematic attached to each Ability (I.E. one for fire, water, earth, light, dark, etc.) that then goes and checks if the enemy is weak to the Abilities Attribute. While this works, its far from being inline with the DRY mentality. I'd like this to be a dynamic process so that all Abilities could use the same schematic for the check, just passing in the Attribute of the Ability to the schematic so it knows what weakness to check for.
  • Somewhat - if you add an ability variable to your abilities that represents their element (e.g. an Int variable 0 being fire, 1 being water, etc.), afterwards you can just check the ability's variable in the schematic (via Selected Data origin and data key action) and do status checks based on that.
  • So I got the ability variables attached to the abilities, and attached the single schematic to each ability.

I can get the ability variable of the ability being used through a console log, but I can't seem to get it any other way to actually use it. What node would be used to check that? I've tried Check Variables, Check Status, Check Value. Nothing seems to be able to access that variable. I'm sure at this point I'm making this harder than it is.
  • Usually a Check Variable node - or for a use case where you check the same variable for different values, a Variable Fork node.

Make sure to use the Selected Data variable origin with the action data key.
  • edited February 2023
    Ok, thank you. I got it working now.

What seems to have held me up was that I had to set "action" as both the Variable Key and the Data Key. It works, but I don't know why that works.

I've got another weird issue with my schematic now that I can't seem to figure out. What should happen is when an enemy already has the knocked down status effect, you can't knock them down again, which stops you from getting infinite bonus turns. This works fine for all attack element types except for physical (attack modifier attribute 0). For some reason this one gets ignored, and allows infinite bonus turns & knock downs.

What I've found is If I remove the "Attack" Battle Animation from it, it doesn't have the infinite bonus turns issue anymore. After further tinkering it seems the issue has something to do with the Calculate Action node in the "Attack" Battle Animation. If I remove it from the "Attack" schematic, I don't get infinite bonus turns & knock downs, though of course without that node I also don't get any damage dealt :/

I'm also working on triggering an attack on all enemies that will occur when all enemies have the knockdown status, after a dialogue box choice. The best I've been able to do so far is trigger a standard attack. I've tried adding a "Use Battle Action" to the schematic to specify the ability to use, but that didn't seem to do anything.

• racefan56 said: What seems to have held me up was that I had to set "action" as both the Variable Key and the Data Key. It works, but I don't know why that works.
    That'd only be the case if your variable key also is action - did a quick test and works fine on my end.

As for the knockdown not being applied again - did you try setting the On Recast setting of the effect (part of the effect duration setup) to None? That'd prevent the effect's duration from being extended when it's already added.
    Otherwise, I'd need to see your setup on how the effect is applied/checked, etc.

When should the attack on all enemies be triggered?
    The Use Battle Action node has different ways to use the action via the Add Action setting. E.g. using Sub Action would use it as part of the current action (that the schematic is animating, so only possible as part of actions). Otherwise, Try will try to use the action now if the user can, but might disrupt the battle order. Next Action will make it the next action the combatant will use when it's their turn.
  • edited February 2023
    The On Recast setting is set to None. The issue is only present with Physical attribute attacks. I can use any other attribute attack (Fire, Water, Wind, etc.) and knock enemies down, and it correctly checks if they are already knocked down before trying to apply the status again. With Physical attribute attacks it seems to skip the check to see if they are already knocked down, and always knocks them down.

Here are a couple screen shots of my checkWeaknessKnockdown schematic. One showing the settings of the Check Status node that handles the Physical attribute. There is also a screen shot there showing my Attack Schematic (yea, it needs some cleaning up). If I disable the Calculate Action node(s) in that schematic, the issue of always knocking enemies down goes away. Meaning it will properly run the check set up in the checkWeaknessKnockdown schematic.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j55RYQdHLLLdQUfu8

You are amazing man, changing the Use Battle Action to Sub has it working great now!
  • edited February 2023
    So, knockdown is added by the variable+status checking schematic?
    If disabling the Calculate Action node stops the effect from being added, that means that it's actually added by your physical attack's ability - check the Target Changes, you probably also added the status effect there.
    Post edited by gamingislove on