Hi your tutorial has inspired to me make the 2d/3d hybrid levels that I was mentioning.

It’s a fairly basic premise. Some scenes are 2d and others are 3d.
2d scene enemies initiate 2d turn based combat. 3d scene enemies initiate 3d tbc.

However everything else is the same: inventory, stats, status effects etc.

Could you provide me with the details on what you see as the best way of accomplishing this?

Thanks
  • The 3D setup might need placed battle spots (or the 2D one, whichever isn't the main/most used setup).
    The raycast type (Game > Game Settings) should be set to one that uses both 2D and 3D.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok I’ll test that out tomorrow when I’m at the computer, thanks.
    And are there any schematics or nodes that you would suggest for the switch for the camera, player character and controller between the scenes?
    I would likely keep a 2d version of the player for the 2d scene and 3d player for the 3d scene with the same stats as though they were the same character. Otherwise if that would be cumbersome then I could have them a seperate characters with their own stats etc. between the dimensions.
    And I would probably begin with the 3d scene as the primary dimension then make it’s 2d counterpart from there.
  • You can use the conditional prefabs of combatants to spawn different prefabs based on defined conditions. E.g. set a global bool variable to mark the game as being 3D and use that as a condition.

Animating actions in 2D and 3D can also use conditions - the battle animations of abilities, items and other actions can set up conditions to check if the schematic should be used.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I see that you’ve created a 3d QuickStart tutorial and you said the only adjustments are the things to get it working in 3d. That’s very cool!
    Are the schematics and stat system similar enough to superimpose upon each other and just use conditional prefabs to swap them out between scenes dependant upon whether it’s 2d or 3d?

I asked the same question on the discord when I queried here and Acissathar had another idea as well. Which would you say would be best for achieving the 2d scene and 3d scene as well as the hybrid scene?

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1075271124113428611/1083925870219108372/IMG_9868.png

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1075271124113428611/1083925870525300736/IMG_9867.png

My dream outcome would be having a game like this where 2d and 3d can be mixed in the same level as well as individual levels.
    Would something like this be achieveable and if so how would it be accomplished?
    https://www.tiktok.com/@devolverdigital/video/7195665530915654958?_r=1&_t=8aCCQroXrsX

Thanks for answering my questions. I’ve been trying to learn as fast as I can. I’m making a showcase demo for work and am trying to figure out the best way to do this
  • The 2D and 3D quickstart tutorials are basically the same, just using different assets. Some adjustments needed to be made due to 3D (e.g. other player controls) and others due to just being different assets and their setup (e.g. other enemy names, particle spawning on a child object, etc.).

Main thing you need to handle when switching between 2D and 3D is the player controls. E.g. have a player control script attached to the 3D player and a No Control component to not add the control when spawning it. You'll also need to register the component with the control blocks, e.g. via an autostart schematic (Auto Machine that uses a Control Component node do register the component.

Otherwise, your battle actions might need to check if it's 2D or 3D and animate differently.
  • Thanks that sounds great, I’ll test it out tomorrow.
    And will that work with the hybrid approach that you can see from the book or on the mug in the previous video where the different dimensions can be played in the same scenes?
    Link between worlds and Mario oddesy are other good examples of this happening:

• Well, yeah - that's all just a matter of setup and control switching :)
  • Ok that sounds good.
    How would i get the 2d playable area to be spread around a cup or self contained canvas on a 3d object and have the camera follow it as it transitions from 3d to 2d like it does in the videos linked here?
  • I'm sure there are some examples out there (e.g. Unity forums) on how to do that. I'm not really an expert in that, but I'd guess there are different ways to do that, e.g. projections, render textures, meshes that wrap around the wall, etc.