edited February 2023 in Announcements
ORK 3's next tutorial series is here: 2D RPG Quickstart

This tutorial series is a quickstart into ORK 3 without any prior knowledge (except for basic Unity knowledge). The goal is to create a small top down 2D RPG with a Turn Based battles, setting up the entire project from scratch (only using provided assets).

The tutorials doesn't require you to do any other tutorials for the setup (like the other tutorials), i.e. it'll cover all, including UI system setup and UI prefabs.

The series is completed.
Post edited by gamingislove on
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited February 2023
    This is great!
    Post edited by Jiraiya2 on
  • I'm planning to also create a 3D quickstart series with (more or less) the same setup, so you can pick your poison in the future if you want to do 2D or 3D for your first dive into ORK :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited February 2023
    Great! I was looking forward to a classic 2D tutorial since ORK 2. I've just started it.

Feedback so far:

01 Initial Setup
    Navigate to Game > Game Settings and change the following settings.
    For the very first instruction, I think it's worth mentioning the framework window in Window > Gaming is Love > ORK Framework (Makinom). Although I used ORK 2 myself, I was looking for a top menu Game > Game Settings at first, before I remembered about the framework window. Just introduce it once and explain that most of the instructions below use that window.

EDIT: wait, I see this is the Announcements section. In which section would you rather have me post feedback on official tutorials?
    Post edited by huulong on
  • @huulong
    Good catch, added more information on opening the editor and also a small explanation on how to navigate it.

You can post your feedback here :)
  • edited February 2023
    Ive been working my way through the demo and Ive really been enjoying it.

I can see the potential of this to fully outpace something like topdown engine in appeal. I have used topdown in the past and Ork has much more versatility and capacity.

I went through topdown demos again to see their showcase of features they have and the list would be easily replicable in ork. This is what if think would be a great addition to the base scene tutorial or perhaps a post tutorial demo scene adding some extra features such as:

Over-world health shown

Pushable blocks

Pressure pad and keys to open door

Spikes

Chest open

In scene teleportation

Overworld enemy or NPC chasing

Destructible objects that drop loot

Character swap with different overworld actions

Damage zone

Elelemtal damages, lightning, fire, ice, poison in overworld

Kill zone

Weapons
    Arrow, sword, bomb

Moving platforms

If so it may turn out to be a hybrid, turn based with overworld elements: however one of the biggest requests i've seen in the mm community is for turn based and crafting. So if people see that what is possible there is possible here as well as extra mechanics such as turn based, crafting etc then I think it will be a good showcase for that purpose. After all, I wish id found ork earlier, before sinking time into developing and learning MM.
    Post edited by GuSt on
  • Hi Gil,
    Great work on this 2D tutorial series.
    One request, can you add mouse click to move to destination?
    Thanks,
    RF
  • @RifleFire
    No, that's not what the tutorial is going for.
    But you can easily do that by changing the player control type to Mouse in Base/Control > Game Controls.
  • @gamingislove this is exactly what I was waiting for! I've stepped away for a bit but ready to jump back in and looks like my timing couldn't be better!
    Thanks a ton for making this tutorial. Expect questions and feedback soon lol
    You rock, thank you so much for keeping at ORK for so long!