Hello,
I am using a custom animator that uses Mecanim in the backend (internally) for my animations. There are a few things that I still need:

1. Can I also use Auto parameters with the custom animator? (I have implemented this directly in my custom animator so far)
2. I am currently trying to create a combo attack (similar to the one in the 3D Action tutorial). However, the normalized time of the Mecanim animation is used.
Is there any way to pass a (for example, wait-) variable in the schematics that has been set before for an animation in my custom animator?

Since a lot of (animation) logic is embedded in the custom animator, I would prefer not to switch completely to Mecanim.

Thank you in advance for your help.
  • 1) If your combatant is set up to use custom animations, the auto animations of the Mecanim setup are not used.

2) Sure - there are multiple ways to do it.
    You could e.g. set a float variable on your ability or item to define that time, schematics animating the action can access them via variable origin Selected Data and data key action (Local data origin).
    Or have those wait times defined in global variables or object variables of a combatant, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2023
    gamingislove said: You could e.g. set a float variable on your ability or item to define that time, schematics animating the action can access them via variable origin Selected Data and data key action (Local data origin).
    Thank you, I think that's what I was looking for.

I'm afraid I haven't really understood the variable scopes yet. I created a variable on the gear. Even then I'm not sure whether I have to use local or selected data.
    Then I try to access it in the shematic. Here, too, I lack the understanding of the scope. I would need to be able to access the attacking combatant's gear to query a local variable from there. If I just take Wait now and try to access a variable using selected data, I can't select either the combatant or an equipment (maybe via machine object or something).

Variable selection?

This setup doesn't work. I tested it using 'Variable exists'.
    Post edited by Tzunamii on
  • edited March 2023
    Okay, that worked now, but only for the variable I set in the ability that runs the schematic. However, since the time depends on the equipment (or more precisely, the weapon), I am still searching for a way to read the variable from the equipment.
    Post edited by Tzunamii on
  • Well - you can also set it as a variable on the equipment, got settings for that just like the ability.
    Use a Select Equipment node to get equipment currently equipped by a combatant and store it into selected data and you can access the variable the same way (with a different data key you use to store the equipment).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you very much. That worked.