I roughly understood the main functionality of the ORK, and roughly understand how to implement what was planned. However, I would like to share with more experienced Ork users for advice. Where I may have difficulties.

Technically, the game takes place on a global map, where there is a game object called a caravan. The caravan is controlled by the player and moves in real time along the grid (here I already know that I need to make my own grid, since there is no option to call the battle grid to move around the global map)

Interactive, dialogue, and combat things are scattered in the global world. There are combatants inside the caravan. From 1 to 10.

The idea is that the caravan does not always move to a battle or point of interest, but sends mobile groups of combatants there. The maximum group size is 4 people.

That is, the only way to interact with the outside world is to form a group and send it to the target.

When a group is sent, it is technically a separate game object that, over time, reaches the point where they were sent.

A very important part of the design is that the combatants are selected very quickly. So, for example, I decided that they are selected by hotkeys from 1 to 10. No consent menus or preparation windows like in darkest dungeon or XCOM

Each combatant has equipment slots. But they don't have inventory. Inventory exists only at the caravan. Inventory also exists with a group of combatants sent somewhere. The group's inventory exists only for transferring loot from a point of interest or battle to the caravan, where the group's inventory is completely transferred to the caravan's inventory, and the group is removed and added to the general group of the caravan (or how this will be implemented, I don't know)

The caravan also has its own equipment slots. So I think that the caravan will technically be a combatant.

There are only two ways in which the caravan interacts with the world.

This is a city (the player can either come in a caravan to buy / sell. Or send a group of combatants)

This is an ambush (The caravan was attacked and the player must choose 4 combatants to defend).

This is all. I don’t ask about the implementation of the city, since everything is clear to me there
  • Well, generally that should all be doable - you'll make heavy use of schematics.

I currently see 2 ways to handle this in general:

1) Actually split the group, i.e. using group nodes to create separate player groups (see the Player Group ID setup you have available in the group nodes).

2) Mark the combatant's that where sent somewhere, either via a status effect, an object variable on them or anything like that. The inventory of that sent group could instead be handled via an item box (via Box ID accessible from anywhere).

The rest is 'simply' having game objects move somewhere and e.g. start a Tagged Machine on their destination to trigger what should happen there.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • >1) Actually split the group, i.e. using group nodes to create separate player groups (see the Player Group ID setup you have available in the group nodes).

There is a problem with using this method. I display the hud of each combatant with just > hud > hud type > combatant. And there you can choose to display only the active player group.
  • Hm, yeah - that doesn't include other player groups. I'll look into adding more options there.
    Alternatively, they could be separate groups of an allied faction instead of another player group, as long as the combatants are spawned.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!