• Will make a change to the start equipment to not limit the possible setup by the available equipment setup, since this can change anyway (e.g. via init schematics, passive abilities, etc.).
    Naturally, when creating a combatant in-game, start equipment that can't be equipped due to the available equipment will still not be equipped there :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Sounds good to me, appreciate you taking a look :)
  • Hi GiL, back with some more questions :)

1. Is there some in-between of End Turn and Counter Attack (or a way to know if the character will be counter attacked?) What I currently have happening is that the combatant that attacks runs towards the target and attacks. The target, if applicable, then counter attacks. To make things seem more dynamic, I am not having the characters run back to their positions.

I know I can use Change Position + User/Target Base to reset them. However, I'm not sure where exactly would be the right "time" to do this. If I do it in the End Turn schematic, that is being fired before the Counter Attack goes through, which makes the animation there look wrong (is this right? I can see reasoning for both ways but thought to double check). But I can't do it in the Counter Attack schematic, because not every attack will be countered, so it's not always a sure fire thing. And my understanding of "Battle Turn" is that it's the whole round of turns, everyone has gone once (using multi-turns fwiw).

Am I able to know ahead of time if the attack will be Countered? Then I think I could put it in both and just use a check, but not sure if there's something I can do beyond checking for every possibility of no counter attack on the target that I add in (status effect, weapon range, talent, etc.)

--

2. Just a quick clarification on Animation nodes with mecanim. Does store duration store the entire normalized duration amount based on what you enter, or only the amount after the Wait duration if checked? I have the clip defined so I am getting durations back, just want to be sure I'm setting these values correctly.
  • 1) I don't think there's currently a way to know if a counter will occur.
    I'll look into it, maybe a new node to check if some counter was registered in the action.

2) Store duration stores the whole duration independent of the wait duration.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • 1) Sweet, if possible that would be perfect. Otherwise I think I'll have to create the Mega Node Of All Possibilities ;)

2) Thought so but glad I double checked, thank you!

• 1) New node to check if the action will be countered will be in the next update - can even store those combatants into selected data :)
  • Awesome, that'll be a great node, thank you very much!
  • edited April 2023
    A few more questions/feature request :)

1) Are we able to set a specific Flying Text for when the given status value is 0? I know we can ignore 0 damage/refresh, but rather than just using the same flying text for these scenarios, I'd like to use something unique. If you do 0 damage for example, the color would be grey, and it'd use a different Flying Text schematic to show it's not effective, rather than if you did normal damage.

If the Flying Text schematic is able to know and manipulate the content/text, I can work with that too I think.

2) Are we able to script into the Move AI component to get what state the character is in? As an example, I'd like to improve the speed logic a bit. Something like the combatants following the player will move faster the further they are from them in follow mode, but those NPCs in waypoint mode will always be walking regardless of distance. I have my controller setup to modify speed, but I think it's something I'll have to script, I'm just not sure if I can get the "is following player" or "on waypoint" status.

3) Is there a way to fire off an ability through an attack schematic? At the moment I have Attack and Counter Attack as separate abilities, which is working great other than what we already discussed. So I'd like to expand this a little and allow for a Flanking Attack as well. Something like if a combatant is doing an attack, in the attack schematic I run a check to find if there are nearby non-hostile faction combatants around the target, and if so, they all initiate a Flanking Attack. This would be a separate "ability" as well because it's not counterable, different Battle Animation schematics, etc.

I think I can fake in the script by finding said combatants and then just playing an animation / "hard coding" the battle animations in the schematic, but if I could instead just say Combatant X, use this ability. "Use Ability Calculation" seems similar, but it looks like it specifically doesn't do battle animations?
    Post edited by Acissathar on
  • 1) Currently there's only the Immunity Flying Texts of attack/defence modifiers that are used when the damage is 0 due to the modifier.

2) There are a couple of schematic nodes to access the move AI, e.g. checking if it's the current target. That functionality can also be accessed via scripting.

3) Sure, that's possible. The Use Battle Action node can do that - best use Sub Action as the Add Action type of the node, that way those actions are sub-actions of the ongoing attack and not part of the battle order.
  • Awesome, thank you! I will check those out :)
  • edited May 2023
    Back again @gamingislove :)

I think Area Auto Name doesn't appear to be working:

I've tried with new and old objects/components but doesn't seem to update. This is in Unity 2022.2.18 fwiw, but I'm not sure if there's something new they added that's messing with that since no errors or warnings are shown like when you try to modify a prefab instance in the editor.
  • Yeah, seems broken, will be fixed.
  • edited May 2023
    @gamingislove Appreciate the quick fix, thanks!

I have one more question, this one around the Menu Screens. Here is my rough mock up of the design I'd like to use:

Currently the Battle group (4 horizontal HUDs) is using a Combatant Part, and the Reserve group (4 vertical HUDs) are also using a Combatant Part. What I would like, is that the Equipment menu screen (which uses Combatant Part for selection) first goes through the Battle group. Hitting Left on the first member or Right on the last member would then shift to other Combatant Part for selection, and then hitting Up on the top and Down on the bottom shifts back. At the moment it just uses the first combatant part for selection.

Is there a way I can accomplish this through the setup I have, or through a different design but ideally keeping the same layout style? I thought about making a custom layout group component, but given Battle and Reserve are using different HUD layouts, I don’t think that’ll work either.

Something else I thought of was using a single Combatant Part with Group Battle Sorted as the scope, and then using a HUD set to Battle scope (through HUD settings) in the Main Content and a HUD set to Reserve in the Additional Content of the same UI Box but with each content being given the respective HUD. However, this still shows all members of the group in each HUD, even though the HUD is set to a more limited scope.
  • No, that's not possible with this setup - but you can combine the 2 combatant parts into one with pre-placed buttons.
    The buttons can either use HUD content directly on them, or you use HUD Condition components on your HUD used as template to show different content based on it being a battle group member or not.
  • Didn't even think of pre-placed buttons, that ended up working perfectly, appreciate the tip.