In a turn-based combat system, after selecting a command from the battle menu (such as "Attack"), and then choosing a target, why doesn't it wait for the target to be highlighted before immediately executing the attack action?

Instead, it directly executed the action.

I ran the 2D Demo, but I couldn't find the relevant settings. Perhaps I overlooked them.

• There are options in Battles > Target Settings to automatically select 1 single/group target, if you have them enabled target selection is skipped if only one selection is available.

Also, ability/item target selection setups can also result in this, e.g. using on Self.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I just checked and I didn't select a single target. The target of this ability is also 'enemy'

----

I compared the ability settings and target settings in the 2D RPG Quickstart project you provided and found that they are all the same. Of course, I must have done something wrong. I will carefully compare them again tonight.
  • edited April 2023
    QQ-20230413205249

----------

For example, if I click on "Attack", how can I delay the execution, for example, by 1 second? The cursor above the enemy's head will not disappear, and it is not adding casting time.
    Post edited by ranwang520 on
  • SK1SK1
    edited April 2023

Hi, I am having the same problem, the target setting is the default setting in 2DRPGs, the highlight preform does not show when selecting the target in the UI with the mouse.

I checked everywhere and there was nothing wrong, so it's probably a BUG in ORK3.
    Post edited by SK1 on
  • @ranwang520
    The cursor will only be visible during the target selection - i.e. if you use a schematic to animate your target menu's closing, you can use that to extend the visible time.

@SK1
    The cursor is displayed based on which combatant is selected.
    Clicking on it will directly use it as the target, so there's no selection change happening.

However, you can enable Cursor Over Selection in UI > UI Boxes > General Settings to automatically select the button below the cursor, so the combatant is selected and highlighted when the cursor is over it's button.
    In Battles > Target Settings you can also set up the Mouse/Touch Control to select combatants when the cursor is over them.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • yes,Thank you
  • I have a related question. How to show the selected cursor over the enemy BEFORE selecting any of the menu text? The cursor should appear at the start of the player characters turn.

I'm using TBS with Active Mode.

Also, how can I bypass the list of the enemies in the menu? So instead, the player will see which enemy is selected, (the cursor will provide visual indication) then he can either chose (with mouse) a different enemy or will just click the Attack button without going to a sub menu with the list of enemies where he needs to chose the enemy again.

so

player fighter turn, cursor is enabled over selected enemy (the one that was selected in the previous turn if applicable)

he can chose a different enemy or not

click on Attack, attack happens
  • You can use a turn start schematic and spawn prefabs on them, or enable/disable game objects on the combatants. Turn start schematics can be set up for all combatants in Combatants > Combatants > General Settings or individually for each combatant in their own settings.

Otherwise, you can use group/individual targets (see Battles > Target Settings) to have a combatant marked as target and automatically use actions on it (battle menu or control maps need to enable using group/individual targets).
  • edited April 2023
    removed this as I've found a step towards solution. please see the next comment
    Post edited by dorusoftware on
  • edited April 2023
    In Target Settings I've unchecked the "Use Target Menu".

This removed the submenu with the names of the enemies which is great.

This is almost perfect but only one issue remains. Mouse click doesn't select an enemy BEFORE I click on the attack button. Only after I've clicked on a menu the Target Highlight prefab appears and I can select an enemy

How can I enable the selection of the enemy at start of player turn, BEFORE he clicks on any menu button?

So order should be inverted.

First allow enemy selection

Second click on button

Now it is

Select button

Then select target
  • gamingislove said: Otherwise, you can use group/individual targets (see Battles > Target Settings) to have a combatant marked as target and automatically use actions on it (battle menu or control maps need to enable using group/individual targets).
    The group/individual targets I mentioned above can do that - if set up to use mouse/touch controls, you can at all times mark a target and use the actions on it.
  • doesn't work. doesn't seem to make any difference

I've enabled "individual target" I've added the mouse touch, I've set it to use the combatants layer. I've even added a target highlight prefab

you can select the target only AFTER you have INTERACTED with the MENU. same as before

ignoring the target highlight for a moment (which doesn't appear before clicking on the Attack button),

clicking on any enemy makes no difference.

after clicking on the Attack button THEN the first enemy is selected. It doesn't matter if you have clicked on other enemies before you click on the Attack button.

if this is hard coded someway just tell me.

but If is possible then please add precise indications if you have some time.

You are pointing me to settings that are complex and I don't know how to set all them. :(
  • now it does

Step 01: player character turn starts. menu shows up. game is locked, clicking on any enemy character does nothing. Mouse can interact only with battle menu

Step 02: Player clicks on Attack button. Target highlight prefab shows up on the first enemy. You can move mouse and hover over enemy Target highlight follows the cursor

Step 03: Click on enemy, Attack action performs.

All works but

Instead I want

Step 01: Enemy selection is unlocked, you hoover over enemy and select which one you want. You can select a different one if you want.

Step 02: click on Attack button. Action Performs on the selected enemy
  • If you use group/individual targets, you also need to set up your battle menu to use them. The battle menu's Base Settings > Options have the settings for this.
  • edited April 2023
    GOT IT :D :D :D

so many options! But it works! :D

Thank You!

I don't have now the time to post all the steps if anyone needs this pleases ask and I will try to add all detailed steps to make it work