Hi.
Excuse me, I'm not good at English, so I use google translate.

I have a question, is it possible to trigger turn-based battles during grid battles?
In the game I'm currently working on, I'd like the player's movement on the map to be a grid like a simulation game, and the battles to be turn-based.
Is such an implementation possible by devising grid battles?

Also, regarding the growth system, is it possible to make each status level up?
It is a system that each status gains experience points by actions, and level up when experience points accumulate to a certain value.
For example, attacking gives experience points to strength.

If possible, a simple example would be very helpful for me.
Thank you.
  • In the game I'm currently working on, I'd like the player's movement on the map to be a grid like a simulation game, and the battles to be turn-based.
    Do you have an example of a game with what you're after? To me, it sounds sort of like a Mystery Dungeon setup?

In that case, what you'd probably want to do is have your movement handled through a custom controller along with environmental design. Design your maps to be a grid, and use the Battle Grid component to generate the grid (matching Tile size).

Then when outside of combat, the player controller just moves +1/-1 rather than the interpolated input of normal games. Upon contact or a certain range of enemies, you then initiate battle which moves to the Grid Turn Based system. As long as your tile sizes match, you should effectively have that same result. Another route I think you can take is one giant battle running at the start, but that might have a few hangups with AI / wait time depending on size.

If you just mean they move in a grid but then it moves to a standard turn based game, sort of like the super old school Dragonquest or Final Fantasy (or RPGMaker I suppose?), then you'd just design the 2D layout and controls as you would for that game, and then use a new scene for battle to change sprites + layout (or models if 3D). Definitely do-able.

• Thanks for your reply.
    Do you have an example of a game with what you're after? To me, it sounds sort of like a Mystery Dungeon setup?
    Just in terms of appearance, elona might be close.
    ( However, the combat is turn based, with random encounters).

Thank you so much for your advice on different methods.
    In that case, what you'd probably want to do is have your movement handled through a custom controller along with environmental design. Design your maps to be a grid, and use the Battle Grid component to generate the grid (matching Tile size).

Then when outside of combat, the player controller just moves +1/-1 rather than the interpolated input of normal games.
    It is wonderful! I didn't know there was such a way.
    I will try it as soon as possible.
    If any unclear points are found, please let me ask again.

Also, I am still looking for advice on the experience system.
    Thank you.

• GiL might have a better way, but one way to accomplish this I believe would be (assuming it always levels up at 100 for example) :

1. Have 2 status values. One for Strength and one for Strength Exp for example. Strength Exp you'll hide from your UI elements unless desired.

2. In your attack/ability schematic that you want to give exp, after you Calculate Action (assuming you only want to give points on successful hits) you can add 1 to Strength Exp of the Machine Object (combatant initiating). Then use a node to check if the Strength Exp is at the cap, then you add 1 to Strength proper and reset Strenght Exp to 0
  • Thank you for the very clear example!
    Schematics can do many things!
    I would like to try this as soon as possible.
    thanks so much!
  • Yeah, both pretty much as @Acissathar explained :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!