edited May 2023 in ORK Support
Hello Gil!

I'm developing a grid battle RPG and I need help with the following:

I'm trying to make a Game Object (Building) spawn when a Combatant enters the cell. This Game Object (Building) has the color of the Combatant's faction that entered the cell.

When a Combatant from another faction enters the same cell, I would like the previous Game Object to be destroyed and a Game Object (Building) with the colors (Faction) of the new Combatant to be spawned.

I managed to spawn the Game Objecs, but I am not able to destroy them.

For this I'm using the following Nodes:

check faction
Success = Spawn Prefab (01)
Failed = Destroy Prefab (01)

check faction
Success = Spawn Prefab (02)
Failed = Destroy Prefab (02)

Another problem I noticed, and which seems to be similar to the first one, is that if the Player faction Combatant re-enters the cell, the Prefab/ Game Object (Building) is spawned again.

Ideally, there should not be a new Spawn, as the Game Object (Building) is already in the scene.

Can you help me destroy the Prefabs, please?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Vykthorius on
  • The later event spawning a new prefab has no access to the prefab that was spawned before.

You can solve that by remembering that prefab, e.g. as Selected Data:
    - Select Game Object node using Object selected data on the cell and storing the spawned prefab
    - Destroy Object node to destroy the game object stored in the cell's Object selected data
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited May 2023
    Hello Gil!

First of all, thanks for your help as always.

I've added the suggested nodes, but it's still like I can't store the prefabs. I feel like I must be missing something simple here. Here's how the event went:

Check Faction = Player
    Success = Spawn Prefab(01)

Select Game Object:
    Selected Key
    Value Type = Value
    Value = MarketPlayer
    Origin Date = Local
    Change Type = Add

Game Object Settings:
    Object = Selected Data
    Value Type = Game Variable
    Value = MarketPlayer
    Variable Origin = Global
    Origin Date = Local

Failed = Select Game Object:
    Selected Key
    Value Type = Value
    Value = MarketPlayer
    Origin Date = Local
    Change Type = Add

Game Object Settings:
    Object = Selected Data
    Value = MarketPlayer
    Variable Origin = Global
    Origin Date = Local

Destroy Object
    Object = Selected Data
    Value = MarketPlayer
    Variable Origin = Global
    Origin Date = Local
    Destroy after time = 3

Check faction = Enemy
    Success = Spawn Prefab(02)

Select Game Object:
    Selected Key
    Value Type = Value
    Value = MarketEnemy
    Origin Date = Local
    Change Type = Add

Game Object Settings and Destroy Object follow the same idea...
    Value = MarketEnemy

In the end, none of the Prefabs are destroyed, continuing to overlap. Can you show me where I'm going wrong and how to fix it please?

Thanks in advance
    Post edited by Vykthorius on
  • edited May 2023
    Hard to say with that list of settings, can you post a screenshot of your event?
    Make sure to destroy the previous prefab before storing the new prefab into selected data.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Gil,

Thanks for the feedback. I just sent you an email with all the screenshots. If you need anything else, just let me know and I'll be ready.

Thanks a lot!
  • Hm, where did you send it?
    Didn't get an email yet.
  • I sent it to gamingislove@gmail.com.

The subject is the same as this thread.

Prints - Destroy prefabs/ Game Objects Battle grid ORK 2

Thanks!
  • Ah, the gmail address isn't monitored, so only send your emails to contact@orkframework.com.
    The gmail is only needed to get access to your google drive stuff.

Checked the images, yeah - that's not working :)
    Use a setup like this:

1) Destroy Object node:
    - object: Selected Data
    - value type (selected key): Value (since you want to define the key directly)
    - value: whatever you want, but use the same for all other selected data access (for both player and enemy factions, since only one prefab should be there at a time)
    - data origin: Object (stored on the cell)
    - object (selected key): probably Target if it's a cell targeting ability, otherwise wherever you stored the cell

2) do your prefab spawning

3) Select Game Object node:
    The Selected Key should have the same setup as in #1, i.e.:
    - value type (selected key): Value
    - value: same as in #1
    - data origin: Object
    - object (selected key): Target (or wherever your cell is stored)
    - change type: Set
    For the game object settings:
    - object: Prefab
    - prefab: your spawned prefab

That's all.

First, it'll destroy the stored prefab, next it spawns the new one and stores it on the cell.
    Just keep in mind to enable using Object Variables in your cell types, best set to Local Variables. Selected data uses the same access as that.
  • This is wonderful GiL! I will apply as soon as it is on my computer.

Thank you one more time!
  • Hello Gil!

Thanks! Your help has been essential at key moments in the development of my game.

I tried to follow what I understood and the prefab is still not being destroyed.

I hadn't commented before because I didn't know if it would make a difference, sorry about that, but the event is being triggered by a skill.

I sent an email with screenshots of the changed events. I must be missing something simple here...

Thanks in advance,
  • I'll check it out and answer your email :)