• I'm exploring a few different inventory layouts, and was wondering if there was a way to accomplish something similar to this?

Inventory is set to individual, and I'd like to have an item box (or hidden combatant if that's easier) as a stash box. Basically what's in the combatant's actual inventory is what they can use in combat, but you can swap them in/out outside of battle (or maybe using a battle action, but I digress lol).

My initial thought is maybe using an Inventory Exchange menu part? But I'm not seeing where we define, or if we even can, which inventories get used. I'd like the Combatant Part / Selection from the Field Menu to select the Left inventory, with the right one being that item box / hidden combatant.
  • Easiest way is probably using an item box (i.e. just a Box ID, doesn't really need a physical item box anywhere) and an inventory exchange menu.

Inventory exchange can be used via the Call Menu Screen node in schematics. Your field menu can call a schematic instead of opening the menu - but I don't think that currently supports using combatant part for selection.
    I'll look into that.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Next update will add new Inventory Source settings to the inventory exchange's item box 1/2 settings. That way you can define which inventory will be used when e.g. called from a button list instead of coming from somewhere with defined sources (e.g. item box, shop or Call Menu Screen node).

Makes it easy to just use the menu user and a defined item box :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited May 2023
    Awesome, I really appreciate it!

Edit: As a follow up to the earlier change with the layout and HUD Player Combatant provider, is there a way to update it when the group changes? The HUD is staying the same, I'm guessing because the Player Group is remaining in the same index although being the Battle/Reserve is changing. Even leaving the menu completely isn't updating that Combatant Part UI, although the Group Menu which uses normal HUD content providers does update to match the changes. I tried checking Battle Group on the provider but that didn't seem to make a difference either.
    Post edited by Acissathar on
  • edited May 2023
    Hm, I'll look into it - not sure if group changes automatically update the part, but closing the menu and opening it again should definitely update the content.

Edit: The HUD Player Combatant content provider updates from changing the player or player group.
    Could you give me more details on which parts don't update?
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • edited May 2023
    This is what I am seeing, only the Player Leader will update when being changed between Battle and Reserve:

https://streamable.com/06834o

(Sent project in PM in case that's easier too)

Edit: Also, while we're here, is there a way to get the Current Area as either a condition or a node? My plan is to make the map "smart" and show the current area, but I'm not seeing the ability to grab that. I don't have a problem making my own node using the ChangeArea one as an example but figured I'd double check before going that route.
  • Set the combatant part's Combatant Scope to Group Battle Sorted - using just Group will show them in the order they joined, so there's no change except for changing the player (which sets that combatant as first in the group).

I don't think there's currently a way to check the area in schematics. I'll look into it, probably a new check node.
    Generally, you can display the area via HUD, e.g. a regular HUD Text Content component can use text codes (via More button and Data) to display the current area.
  • edited May 2023
    Sweet, my plan was to change the actual map image depending on the area, not just the text.

I think I can currently fake it with variables and Menu conditions (one for CurrentArea that updates as you enter the overarching area, and then one for each area if the player has collected the map itself) but being able to just use one menu item and toggle the image based on an Opening Schematic could cut that down a bit (or if it's a Condition the HUD Condition component I suppose)

Honestly, since every over-arching area is it's own scene at the moment, I can probably just stick with Check Scene nodes for now.

And thanks again for the help with the Combatant Part issue :)
  • A few more just clarification questions to help with some design thoughts:

1) Does the Chance % field in a Check Inventory (or Condition) have any effect? The description says it's the chance of adding or consuming, but given I'm just "checking" and not removing or adding, I wasn't sure how that plays in. I have it set to 0 on these checks, and it's working as expected, but just want to be sure.

2) Coupled with the earlier questions about Inventory and Map layout, does "Player" as the object only check the actual group leader / physically controlled player combatant, or will it consider all members of the party? I don't yet have my inventories actually separated, so they both are working for me, but just curious for things like key items where it'll probably be stored in the Item Box working as storage, but may also be on a combatant.

Basically if I just care that the player has the item somewhere, does Player work, but if I want to check specifically that Combatant Bob who is apart of the player group, has a crystal in *his* inventory, would I be able to use the Machine/Starting object for the inventory check?

3) Looking ahead to a settings menu, (video options, sound, post processing toggles, etc.) is this something just best handled through normal coding and just using ORK to display the menu itself? My plan is just saving the data into PlayerPrefs and then initializing that during the splash screen setup before ORK kicks in.
  • Next update will add an Area Fork node to check the current area for one or more defined areas and use the valid area check's next slot :)

1) Not 100% sure if it's done in all, but e.g. the Has In Inventory node will use the chance check.

2) Uh - depends on what you refer to as "Player" object. E.g. in object selections, the Player is the actual player game object that's controlled by the player (from which the combatant can be accessed).
    If you want a specific member, you can e.g. set up an actor for that, or use selected data nodes to get that specific combatant.

3) Future updates might add 'real' settings for that in the future.
    For now, you can either add your own settings via code extensions (see here), use custom settings (variables) and do changes based on that, or just open a custom or 3rd party options menu, e.g. via schematics.
  • edited May 2023
    1) Ah okay, I'll keep using 0/100 then just to be safe :)

2) Right, I was meaning the "Player" from the Object dropdown selection in Nodes. That makes sense, I'll just add the group as an actor and then check that + the item box if I need to do a full inventory check then, and otherwise specify the combatant.

3) Sounds good, that'll probably be one of the very last things I tackle but good to know incase I feel ambitious haha
  • 1) Better at 100 %, otherwise the chance fails, failing the inventory check :)
  • Is there a way to disable a blocked equipment slot? For example, combatants have a Main Hand and Off Hand slot. An Axe uses the template to equip into Main Hand and blocks Off Hand. This part is working great, and the Equipment Slot menu is correctly showing the Axe has being in both hands.

What I would like to do, is in a scenario like this, disable the blocked slot (Off Hand) in this case, until the Axe is unequipped / a one-hand weapon is equipped. I still want the slot to appear, just not be selectable.

This is just more of a visual thing, not a big deal by any means, just a preference if possible.
  • Hm, currently not - I'll look into adding an option for that in equipment menu parts.
  • Sweet :)