For context, I'm experimenting with battle/attack animations in a Real Time Battle setting and I encountered something unusual I guess? When I have the real time 'Real Time Battle Area', the main character's attack animation acts strangely.

Without it, it works great.

With the 'Real Time Battle Area' on and active, things get weird.

I'd like to know more about this, even beyond fixing this particular issue; exactly what's happening under the hood when this component is active?

Thank you!
  • When the player enters the real time battle area, a real time battle starts - pretty much the same as using a Battle component, but without battle spots and battle start/end schematics.

The main difference is the combatant being 'in battle', e.g. battle animation setups kicking in. If the animations are different, I'd check the combatant's (and general combatant settings) animations if battle animations override something.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I've tried to fiddle with it for a while, but I'm still having trouble. Can you tell me a little more what you mean when you mention the possibility of the battle animations overwriting something?
  • edited May 2023
    When adding animation setups to your combatants, you can add 'regular' animations and battle animations. The regular animations are used at all times - the battle animations only when the combatant is in battle.

E.g. if a regular animation has the animation type Attack set up to a specific animation and a battle animation has a different animation assigned to that animation type, in battle, the battle animations will overrule the regular animations.

Also, status effects, equipment, etc. can also override animations like that.

But, that's all stuff that would have to be set up at some point and doesn't happen out of the box. So, you'd have set up an animation setup and add it to a combatant, effect, equipment, etc. for this to kick in.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited May 2023
    So I tried all of these suggestions, and I even went so as far as to delete all of the animations except Battle Animations, and what's happening is the same; so I'm not sure if its the battle animations, I tried to account for or even eliminate that variable as much as I could. What could be happening is that something in Ork is telling it to try to moosh all of the battle animations together.

It would help if I knew what exactly is happening under the hood when Ork considers a 'Battle' going on, it could be something else? Damage dealers/zones, an errant schematic or some other thing that 'activates' in a battle? What functions/components respond to Ork being 'in Battle'? Does Ork change how it recognizes keypresses, since I have to click multiple times to start that combo?
    Post edited by FeldFour on
  • Well, as said - the main difference is that the combatant is in battle. I.e. this has an impact on all other things that might check for that, like animations, actions, control maps, etc.

E.g. a control map can become available when it's set up to be used in battle but not in the field. An action that's set up to only be used in battle becomes available. Stuff like that.

I'd need a Unity test project to check what's going on.
  • Thank you for your patience in this; I'm still testing myself. I sent you a message regarding possibly checking this via a test project I can send your way.