Heya! I just bought ORK Framework and am loving it so far.

I was considering fetching over the controller from Topdown Engine, but it might be easier to implement these things directly. I'm just kinda new to this so it's a little tricky.

Anyway: I am planning on making a fixed camera 2.5D RPG that has some platforming elements like the recent Crystal Project.

I would like to either ask for a feature request or how to plug this into the nodes:

1) Coyote timer: This feature allows the player to still execute a jump for a short time after leaving a ledge, basically giving the player some leeway with timing. Most of the best platformers have this, like Dead Cells, Celeste..

Example: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62258630/player-movement-in-unity-with-smoother-jumping/62277601#62277601

2) Input buffer: From that same link, this allows for storing an input command so that the game can execute it as soon as it is valid.

ORK already has variable jump height, which is great! So I don't need to ask about that one. :)

So do I just basically take the code above and plug it into a node that activates on jump? Would that be precise?

Thank you for this great product, GiL!
  • Well, ORK is an RPG framework and comes with some built-in controls to get you started. For anything more, you can use custom controls.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I have bought Platformer Project at the Unity Store as it seemed promising, and so I'm trying to make that work well with ORK.

It runs off the new Input System in Unity, so I just need ORK supporting that.

I'm a little confused as to what I should do in specific, though.

The Makinom support for the new input system is here, so do I install that and...?

For the custom controls, I followed the guide, but I am unsure how to set up the wrapper.

Do I just create a script to register for all the new input in OnEnable and unregister all the input in OnDisable, and then it'll just work?

Apologies, I am a bit new to Unity and programming, but I'm trying my best. :)
  • Tony Li convinced me to buy Rewired, so I'm gonna do that instead.

I think perhaps this guide should still work?

Last post about it working was in 2021, so should probably work.
  • @Jadesong No longer necessary, and it's much more straightforward now. Just download this into your project: https://makinom.com/guide/extensions/scripts/rewired-input-key/

Then in ORK, change the Input Origin to the new Rewired option. Everything else is handled with Rewired so you'll set up input there, and just go back to ORK to add the definition and input name to the appropriate section.
  • Acissathar, you are a gem and a scholar. I'd kiss you if you were near.

Thanks a lot.