Howdy,
Big fan of the products and picked up using Makinom for non-RPG projects.

I am working on a top-down 2d turn based project. Ideally it will have gridbased movement and environment to keep movements clean.

Currently the player moves on an input from the horizontal or vertical key axis. I know this can be used for diagonal movement but don't want to risk players losing a turn because they fatfingerd the Left key a split second before Left + Up keys. I am also looking to slow down pace of play too and a more detailed movement system might do the trick.

My idea was to allow the player to rotate facing through the 8 directions available (N,NE,E,SE,S,SW,W,NW) with input of the horizontal keys. Then with the selection of the move action it will move them forward one tile from the direction they are facing.

My early proof of concepts haven't been successful. I was wondering if anyone else would have some thoughts.

Makinom Community, you are my only hope!

Thanks!
  • edited September 2015
    The solution to your problem would be to use an Input Key node to check if horizontal or vertical input keys have been used, add a small wait afterwards (e.g. 0.1, you'll need to experiment here to find a good value for your use case) and store the input keys into the Vector3 variable (or use one of the move nodes directly) afterwards.
    That way, the player has a little bit of time between pressing the first key and 2nd key for diagonal movement.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • That sounds good! I'll go an experiment with it a bit further.

Thanks!