edited January 2016 in ORK Support
I have setup an ability point system to level up my abilities. The Ability Points are an experience status value that is awarded every level. When enough points are earned, they can be spent to raise the rank of an ability (stealth, lockpick, etc).

I have also setup a menu screen to display these abilities, with "Level Up" as the default action. I can navigate this menu and, if I have enough points, I can level up the ability.

My problem here is that, so long as I have the minimum points, I can level up every ability - despite the level up being configured for 'Spend." If it costs 3 points to get a new level of Lockpick and Stealth, and I have 3 points, I can level up both of these abilities.

How do I make it so, when you level up one ability, it subtracts those points from the status value?
Post edited by Jerseyware on
  • Can't confirm that - using the Level Up default action in the menu screen or using a sub menu both correctly subtract the spent experience as it should be.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Am I confusing the system somehow? This is in a character creation scene where I've loaded in the player as primary combatant and added to the active group. I have not actually spawned the player - I don't want the attached camera and scripts to take over in this scene - but the combatant data still loads in fine on screen.

No scratch that, I tested in-game using a sub-menu and it still does not subtract points.

Do I need to setup anything extra? Is it okay that the status value is of experience type 'none' ?
  • Can you send me a test Unity project to contact@orkframework.com?
    Spawned or not, that shouldn't affect if the points are spent or not.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Certainly. Is there anything in particular I should include or leave out(besides the obvious ork components)? I haven't done this before :)
  • I figured it out. I did something really dumb - I set the minimum value to the same amount you started with. Something in early testing that went unnoticed until now. Thank you again for all your help.
  • Okay so it is spending points now as expected, however, it's not spending the points as configured in Abilities->Level Settings->Level Points. From testing, it appears to be subtracting the next level as the point value (level 3 costs 3 points, level 4 costs 4 points, so forth).
  • The level points of the different levels are incremental, i.e. they start from the level points of the previous level.

E.g.:
    - level 2 has 50 level points, leveling up from 1 to 2 costs 50 points
    - level 3 has 100 points, leveling up from 2 to 3 costs 50 points (since level 2 already has 50 points invested)
  • Okay that explains that. Thanks again. :)