So I was trying to adjust the formulas for critical attacks and I made an oopsie, see below.

Following Tutorial -- StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.

I keep getting this message while following tutorials. it seems like this happens about 50-50 when I engage in a battle action...Is this a message saying there something wrong with the formula or the battle event?
This most recent one happened with a Attack Command..but it also happens when I cast Fire most of the time...And it almost always appears to be a player action and not an enemy.

StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.
ORKFramework.Formulas.Formula.Calculate (Single initialValue, ORKFramework.Combatant user, ORKFramework.Combatant target)

I thought I followed the Formulas exactly...did i miss something?

I figured out the issue. So this is how I troubleshot this in case anyone is wondering.
Based on the error message: ORKFramework.Formulas.Formula.Calculate I realized it had to be because of a formula.

Once I sat down and realized how often it was happening, I realized since it wasn't 100% of the time it was not the default Attack or Magic Damage formula.

Based on that I determined it had to be the Criticals. Turns out you should not tell a formula to reference itself in the case of it needing to be called. It will in fact cause a loop of doom; and cause your formulas to crash and in turn...your game.

Moral of the story-- check your event loops 3 times even if you think they look perfect. Had I done that 1 simple thing, it would have saved me about and hour of me slamming my head on the table in frustration.

Hopefully this helps someone...if not, hope you got a laugh outta it instead. :D
  • Yep, a stack overflow error is usually caused by an eternal loop somewhere or by doing too many stuff in a frame (event system, a Wait step can help in that case).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!