Hello,

I'm in a small group of developers who intend to work on the same projects at the same time. Do you have any advice for setting up Ork framework in a way to allow multiple people edit the Ork database at the same time? Or at least developing in an efficient way in tandem.

Thank you.
  • From my personal experience (i tried with a mate to develop a game using Unity-ORK), if any of you is working on ORK, other ones must not touch it. I suppose you will use a good repository (i was not so expert at them), so when you commit changes a member made on ORK side other ones must not be working on it, or the database could break.
    As a personal advice, split up your work: one on ORK at once, other ones developing other side of the product like game scene setup, writing story etc... One thing you could share is dialogues: these are just copy/paste, if you are working on ORK framework and your mate could set up dialogues, then you will gain a lot of time instead of rewriting them on your own.

Have a nice day! :)
  • Thanks, Its pretty unfortunate that its not possible to maybe set the database up with mysql over a network or something.
  • I personally spoke as a non-professional user, maybe GiL could help you better and come out with a better solution. ^^

However, till you are "playing" with ORK and other people on scene / editor, there should be no problems (you could break game-scene object related to ORK but these are simle to correct).
    Good luck. :)
  • I wouldn't recommend using stuff like git to colaborate on an ORK project.

One person changing data in the ORK editor and others working on scenes/prefabs is no problem, as long as you're not adding/removing/moving data.
    E.g. removing a combatant, moving an item in the list or adding a new HUD will cause updates throughout the project (ORK project, components (prefabs/scenes) and event assets).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • You could use Tortoise but you need a way to communicate with each other when someone has the file open. When one person has the file open, no one else should be working--you can use something like Skype. If you work in your own "Test" scene to test things--then those don't get affected by anybody's changes.

To set up Tortoise properly in Unity, you need to change some settings in the editor so your files don't get corrupted just f/y/i--just google using Tortoise.