edited March 2017 in ORK Support
Hello everyone,

I've talked to GIL in the past about Knockback, let me know if your interested.

Knockback is a force mechanic that many games use. I feel like it would be a great feature for ORK.

Pull and Push Knockback Example:

Knockback Variables:

Knockback Direction - The knockback will send something at it, like a vacuum, or away from it, like a push

Knockback Angle - The angle the knockback will send something

Knockback Distance - The amount of distance the knockback will send something

Knockback Speed - The speed the knockback will send something

Knockback Axes:

2D games will use X Y axis

3D games will use X Y Z axis

I've only covered the basics about knockback here. There's still more to talk about.

If your interested, or have any ideas for knockback, post a comment!

Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Can't you already implement knockback with events? (this is mostly rhetorical as I have a version of knockback in my abilities already implemented)
  • Yeah, knockback is already possible with the event system, e.g. physics based using the rigidbody nodes.

If you need stuff based on the used ability, you can define those values as ability variables and use them through selected data in the event.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2017
    Sounds good. If I can whip up something in ORK, I'll post a video. =)

Is "addforce rigidbody" correct?
    Post edited by FreedTerror on
  • edited March 2017
    Depends on the effect you want. You can either use a block that moves the object or ads a force - there's many ways to move combatants around via events.
    Post edited by Juryiel on
  • edited March 2017
    Lets say all my combatants don't use a rigid body. What would be a good way to apply a knockback then?

I'm not sure what you mean by "block that moves the object or ads a force".

Post edited by FreedTerror on
  • When you use an ability, you can make it trigger a battle event. The event blocks of the event can be used to move the player. Check out battle events.
  • I guess 'blocks' means the nodes :)
    When not using rigidbody, you can use one of the many movement nodes, e.g. Move Into Direction or Change Position - since this is for pushing the enemy somewhere, you'll probably want to disable Face Direction.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2017
    Seriously every day that I heavily use ORK now, I understand its potential, and I'm like "lets rush to get a game out before everyone starts using it" lol j/k, but in all seriousness, I'm pretty sure the 100$ is under valued.
    Post edited by dlevel on
  • Thanks GIL for your answer about the rigidbodies.

Is there any easy ways to set up knockback in a scene, e.g. When my combatant collides with a wall, that wall will apply a knockback.

• Hm, you could use a game event started by one of the Collision start types for that.
  • I tried setting a game event, and event interaction component up, but I can't get the change posistion node to work on my combatant.

I'll send you a scene GIL or someone could help. =)
  • Is the event starting? If yes, post some details about your node's setup.
  • I can get the event to turn my combatant to turn the event when it enters the collider. I used trigger enter for the event interaction.

Node setup is: game events - event settings - check combatant - change position

If that node setup is even close to right, I'll assume I need to tweak each of the nodes settings for this to work.

• Make sure you're using the correct actor in your nodes - and what's the setup for the Change Position node?
  • So, after adding an object and player type actor to the event settings, I was able to tweak the other nodes and got it to work. =)