What I would like to achieve when doing grid based phase battles is this:
- When I select player combatant --> I would like to display battle menu with few actions available (ie. equipment, end turn etc), this is pretty basic stuff
- Additionally upon selecting player combatant, I would like that "Grid move" command becomes also active by default at the same time

What I'm going after is that I would not need to separately click any "Move" action in the battle menu in order to move the player around in the battle field. Rather the player would have "moving"-mode enabled by default when the player is selected (= the character could be moved straight by clicking on grid cells within move range).

Is this possible in any way?
  • Automatically starting grid move selection > set Player Auto Grid Move to First Action (or Always) in the phase battle's grid settings.

As for the battle menu - you just have to set up your battle menu with the commands you want :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the hint, I tried the Auto Grid Move = Always setting, and it almost seemed to do the trick!

Only one slight issue still is that with this setting my Battle Menu is always hidden. If I change the Auto Grid Move to 'None' --> battle menu is shown when I select a target player combatant.

I'm using Action Point system in the battle, where the Grid Move and Ability use costs are set to zero, and the player is expected to manually end the combatants turn via battle menu. Does the Action Point/Grid move cost configuration stir things up here?
  • Well, you can either show the battle menu or have a running grid move cell selection - not both :)

You should only make sure the combatants have at least 1 action point and 1 grid move range to be able to perform actions/moves. Actions/movement not costing points is not an issue for the system.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hmmm, so basically it is not possible for the combatant to switch straight from grid move cell selection to for example use ability cell selection? The combatant needs to complete the move first?

I guess I'll stick then to the original, where user needs to manually enable the move command also. Not that big issue, just figured it to be swifter for the player to move around, if the move mode would be active all the time. Thanks anyway :)
  • edited August 2017
    Well, yes, it's possible, e.g. by using control maps or a shortcut HUD - but not displaying battle menu and grid move selection at the same time.
    And you can also allow canceling the grid move back to the battle menu :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • I'll bump this topic a bit, from a different angle. I'm now trying to set up battle menu and grid move for touch enabled devices. I've set an option that the Grid Move Action can be cancelled by clickin the "Cancel" button. This works fine when using the keyboard, but for example in Android device the "Cancel" button seems to refer to the device's back button which is inconvenient in my case.

Simply put: how do I display "Cancel" or "Back" button in the game when the Grid Move or any other Ability selection is active?

The Battle Menu displays "Back" option if I click for example "Items", but this is probably because it is already displaying the Battle Menu. When using abilities or grid move the battle menu is hidden.
  • Okay, I managed to create a HUD of type "Control" that is visible during battle. I added one control option to the HUD and bound it to the "Cancel" input. But when I click it, nothing happens.

Is there some kind of tutorial or example on how these "Control HUDs" should be configured? Or is there again some raycast that does not detect the hud element...
  • No, control HUDs aren't that complicated - just selecting the used input and defining the images and element bounds should be enough to get this working.

Make sure there's no other HUD or HUD element blocking a click on the button, and check if the move command allows being canceled.