Currently, I *think*, I can set the action point cost of a GridMove to either 0 or non-zero, but what I'd really like to do is cost the player one point for each hex he crosses. Is there a simple generic way of doing this? I am pretty sure I can create a really hack-y way wherein the player has to input each move one hex at a time, but ...

Is there anyone who has played around a good bit with Grid Battles who can point me in the right direction? I was really originally just going to use Classic Turn-Based Battles, because pirates are MOSTLY melee... but the added tactical challenge of grid battles is just too good to pass up.

Any guidance or advice is appreciated!

jim
  • This would be very useful for me as well, but I have not reached that point yet to have tackled this.

Player does have movement range, and tiles have movement range cost, so there may be a way to hook up movement range points to action points.

But it would be nice to have a way to do it from the start like it's done in most western RPG turn based games. Where usually each turn a player has certain number of action points. Both abilities (Attack/Spell) and movement used up this universal action points. And each tile costs certain number of action points.

So for example if you have 12AP per turn, and each tile costs 2 points to cross. You can cross maximum of 6 tiles, or you can cross 3 tiles, used up 6 AP, and have 6AP left to attack or cast a spell.
  • I'll look into that, maybe just an option to make move cost and action points the same thing :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • What hellwalker described is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! Thanks for the consideration, GIL!

...i'm talking to a guy named gamingislove and agreeing with a guy named hellwalker.

The internet is weird.

Signed,

ChainsawPenguin. :)
  • To add on to this, what I'd really like is that a player could do any of the following in a single turn (and this may be infeasible in ORK, but I don't think it is) with 12AP, in an area where it costs 2AP to move one hex, and a combatant can choose between a 4 AP attack that hits one opponent (ATK1) or an 8 AP attack (ATK2) that hits every opponent within one hex:

1 - Move 6 hexes
    2 - (ATK1) + (ATK2)
    3 - (ATK1) + Move 4 hexes
    4 - (ATK1) + Move 2 hexes + (ATK1)
    5 - Move 1 hex + (ATK2) + Move 1 hex

... and so on. There may already exist a way to do something like this, but it's not immediately clear. Wasteland 2, along both of the original Fallout games, used a system like this.

Just adding on to the wishlist!! :)