I'm relatively new to ORK Framework and have been going through the tutorials to familiarize myself with the workflow, and so far I've been very impressed with the depth and breadth of this asset and how easy it is to get a fully featured RPG up and running in a fraction of the time it would have taken me to code everything from scratch. It's got pretty much all the features I could think of to add in a game I'd want to make, and it's great that there's such a wealth of tutorials here on the site that cover how to implement specific mechanics, like an in-game date/time system, for example.

One thing I'm curious about is whether ORK has a way to randomly generate NPCs (i.e. with random appearances and stats), and if it does, how I would go about doing so. I'd like to be able to have, say, 10 human NPCs that would be randomly generated with different appearances and stats at the start of a new game, but would remain persistent and could level-up on their own until killed by the player or each other. I've looked at the options under Combatants and noticed that there's a Conditional Prefab feature that looks quite useful, but I'm not sure whether that would entirely fit my use case. Would this be something I'd have to use Events for? Or would I have to code this in the old-fashioned way?

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions! Many thanks as well to GamingisLove for making this awesome asset and continuing to update it so regularly! I'm really liking it so far and can't wait to put it to use on a real project soon.
  • Hm, there's no built-in combatant randomization, but you can use the event system to do this.

You can set up combatants to use a game event when they're initialized - in that game event, you can e.g. randomly set the status values, equipment and other things.
    As you've already found, the conditional prefabs can be used to change the appearance. E.g. using object variables on the combatants as conditions (which can also be set in the init game event).

As for keeping their stats/appearance alive throughout the game, I'd recommend using a Combatant Spawner component to get them into the scene. The combatant spawners have the Remember Combatants settings to save them when leaving the scene (also alongside save games).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!