I wish to create a robust crafting system, using variables, where certain variables that I set to only certain kinds of items will check against Global Variables to define and alter their underlying variable values. For instance, I've created a formula that creates a global variable named 'Materials_Metal' and branches into a 'Check Game Variables' node. The node runs multiple checks to see if 'Materials_Metal' equals a number from zero to 'X' ('X' being the ultimate final number of metals in my game). When it hits on one, it adds a string changing the material's name accordingly (to Copper, Steel, Supercalifragilisticexpialidociousanium, what have you), then sets the values for certain other Global Variable properties, i.e. Hardness_Global, Toughness_Global, ValueMatMult_Global.

So, lets say I have a weapon with a blade, for instance. Could be a knife, a Sword, a spear, a weaponized ceiling fan-doesn't matter-all of my weapon's with similar properties share certain variables. A sword, a knife and a weaponized ceiling fan (each particular instance of said) all have a variable attached to them called 'Material_Blade'.

The Variable, 'Material_Blade', runs through a formula prior to the one using the global variable, 'Materials_Metal', in order to change and set its value to match the correct value branch in the 'Materials_Metal' formula. So, in other words, where the value for a certain steel alloy might be 5 (according to what I've decided) through the 'Material_Blade' formula, it might be referenced by the number 11 in the 'Materials_Metal' formula because there are more metals in the game than are suitable for use as blade materials.

Additionally, the specified values of the Global Variables, 'Hardness_Global', 'Toughness_Global' and 'ValueMatMult_Global', after being selected by the formula via whatever branch, need to then assign their set values to the corresponding Item Variables attached to the item. 'Hardness_Global' needs to set its value to the Item Variable, 'Hardness'. 'Toughness_Global' needs to assign directly to the Item Variable, 'Toughness', and 'ValueMatMult_Global' needs to alter multiple related variables and properties (that one's a bit of a headache to standardize, but the first two are both more straight forward and critical).

So, that explains in a rather convoluted nutshell what I'm trying to accomplish. Here's my basic question: how in the world do I do any of those things that I just mentioned?

I can, and have created the necessary host of variables, of course, and I've made a bunch of formula branches, but my grasp of ORK's variable system is, well, let's just say tentative would be reaching. I've managed, in a few instances, to successfully check the variable values assigned to items, but I don't really know what I'm doing, or how to effectively use them. So, using a formula...

-Can I check every item in a player/party's inventory individually to see whether it has a necessary variable, and then check it's value?

-Does the 'Select Item>Item Settings>All Items' feature just pool the collective value of every item that shares a variable, or is there a way to ensure that each item retains its variables' values individually?

-Assuming that I'm able to force an individual check on every item before branching into the necessary formulas to assign and reassign their values, how do I then loop back to change the local variables using the global ones?

• Unless you're doing some calculations, I'd recommend doing this in a game event instead of a formula.

Anyway, this might not be possible yet, there's currently no filtering of selected data based on variables available - I'll try to add that in the next update.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!