edited June 2019 in ORK Support
Hi,

I'm still experimenting with the tutorial, so I hope my question is not too stupid! Just for fun, I tried to award 500xp to the player when he finds Blue Pant's underpants. With this reward, Brown Pant, the player, gains 3 levels at the same time. I wanted to display some flying text when the player gains a new level, so I went to: Battle System/Battle Settings/Level Up Settings/Base Level Up/ and I added a game event there.

I then created a "LevelUp" event in which I used a "Formula to Variable" step (in which I get the current level of the player combatant - I did not find other ways to get that value since the Base Level is not a Status value) and fed that variable into a "Show Flying Text" step.

It worked, but the problem is that, since the player gains 3 levels at a time, I get 3 flying texts displayed on screen at the same time. However, I found a way to make sure only the flying text of the highest level get displayed:

I store the result of the formula that gets the current level of the player combatant into a global variable ("combatantLevel") and I use a second step to store the same value into another local variable ("combatantLevelLocal"). Then, I wait 3 secs. and I use a "Check Game Variables" step to see if my local variable is equal or greater to the global variable. I only display the flying text if this condition is met.

It works, but it seems quite complicated to me... Is there a better way to achieve this? Also, is there a way to simply display the multiple level up flying texts one after the other so they don't overlap?

Thanks!
Post edited by ArsMagika on
  • Instead of specific to the level up flying text could you just do a general "flying text pause" variable for all of them? if you use multiple. for instance, for damage. Maybe each flying text pauses for every flying text before it. So if there are 3, the 3rd would wait X (3) seconds. the second one 2, and the first one, 1.

Just a thought. I had this problem too, with damage, but haven't tackled it yet.
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • Thanks Wrofir, that could well work! I'll try that and keep you informed on this thread.

To be honest, my main objective was to learn if I was in the proper "mindset" for Ork or if was missing something obvious. By reading your comment, I understand that I should find a solution with some game variables for this problem and that there's no "automatic" way to achieve that.
  • You can use the flying text positions to display multiple texts at different positions, e.g. using the Use In Order and Reset Order settings to only use the other positions when multiple texts are displayed in a short time.

Otherwise, yep, using variables to mark showing the text in your level up event is probably the best way to go. It's probably best to use Object variables on the Starting Object (which is the combatant that has the level up) to prevent blocking texts on other combatants as well :)

Using variables and wait nodes in your move events for the flying texts is also an option, but the event doesn't know about the combatant the flying text is displayed on, so using object variables isn't possible here and having a global wait for flying texts might not be the best idea depending on your game style :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited June 2019
    Thanks gamingislove!

I just realized that I didn't proceed in the most efficient way. I was using Battle Settings/Level Up settings and triggering an event with a Show flying text step from there but, after reading your reply, I realized that it would be easier to go in Battle Texts/Flying Text Settings/Level Up instead!

I added 5 positions with increasing base offsets and used the Use In Order and Reset Order checks as you advised, and now it works quite well without using any event.

Thanks,

Yan
    Post edited by ArsMagika on