Hi all,

I have a problem with changing scenes through scene changer. The scene changes, but the player doesn't spawn.
The "easy way" of spawning the player when transitioning from the main menu doesn't work either, fortunately, the "other way" using autorun event works for the first scene after the main menu (but it doesn't work correctly for the other scenes.)

After checking the forums and google, it seems like the core of this problem lies in Invector TPC I'm using. Someone suggested to do the following:

"If anyone else has this problem turn off Invector’s Third Person Controller component on your player’s prefab – click on Open Properties and Locomotion and disable Use Instance."

but I don't have such an option available.

I managed to make my player spawn somehow, by using autorun event, unchecking scene changer's fade out/in options and commenting the hell out of invector's vGameController script (kinda barbaric, but it helped a little). Now my player is spawned, it can move and interact with stuff, but the screen is black. Even though the camera object is present in the scene.

I'm using:
Unity 2020.1.8f1
ORK 2.30.2
Invector Third Person Controller - Basic Locomotion 2.5.4
  • Check out this how-to on using custom controls with ORK.
    You'll most likely need a wrapper script to do some setup in Invector, e.g. setting ORK's spawned player as target of the camera (the provided wrapper example for OOTII can easily be adjusted).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for your reply!

I guess I'll have dive into wrappers later on anyways, but for now, I'm using this workaround:

It seems like the cause for the black screen after scene change were fade out/in options for the scene changer. it looks like the scene changer does not finish its job after the scene change (it "transports" the player but does not finish fade out/in process). And it also doesn't destroy itself after scene change (which it should I suppose, otherwise we would have a ton of them piled up after few scene changes).

Now, I'm able to change scenes successfully by using autorun events (with variables determining which spawn location to use) and by unchecking the scene changer's fade out/in options.

• Hm, that's strange - that would hint at the Unity timescale being set to 0, i.e. no time progression happens and the fade doesn't continue. Or you accidentally fade to black (full alpha value) instead of fading out, but the scene changer should be destroyed afterwards...
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I checked the timescale with a script, and it's set to 1 in every scene. The alpha settings were also correct. I did a little bit more experimenting and the screen fades out successfully when leaving the current scene, but doesn't "fade in" in the new scene, so it seems like the scene changer script (attached to the scene changer object) just doesn't execute itself/its part after the scene changes... Anyways, I solved the problem with the scene changer not disappearing by a simple script that checks the current scene and destroys it, if it's the desired destination scene.
  • Still strange and shouldn't happen. What's your scene change setup (mainly scene load type, etc.). The fade in not happening (and timescale not being the issue) hints at Unity not notifying of the scene change, which would prevent the scene changer from starting things in the new scene, e.g. player spawn and screen fading.
  • Load scene mode is single with async off. (tried it with async on, still didn't work).
  • I assume you don't get any errors or warnings in the Unity console?
  • No, I don't have any errors/warnings/messages regarding ORK. I do have some errors, but they're all connected to Invector Third Person Controller, and they are mostly warning me about not having an input axis set correctly. None of the error messages indicate wrong behavior when changing scenes.
  • Hm, think you can send me a small Unity test project with your setup?
  • As discussed via email - and for others maybe running into the same issue:

Defining scene names in ORK usually just requires the scene name, e.g. 'SampleScene', even if the scene is in a folder somewhere in your project.

Defining folder and scene name seems to work when loading the scene, but the scene changer no longer continues due to not matching any loaded scene's name, e.g. 'Scenes/SampleScene' will not match, since the loaded scene's name is 'SampleScene'.
    I'll change/fix that behaviour in the next update, though :)