edited September 2014 in ORK Support
Hello hope someone can point me in the right direction regarding shortcuts.
I have a combatant HUD setup with a shortcut status on it. I can't figure out how to drag the small heal ability from the combat menu to my shortcut. I have been stalled by this for 4 days now and I decided maybe I should ask for some input. I also have a control key assigned for a shortcut already.
Thanks in advance!
  • Ok got the drag to work, I didn't setup the Assigned Slot Display correctly. Now however I cannot get the control map to fire off the shortcut. I have an input key setup, a control map calling for that input key to use a shortcut index 0
    am I missing a step someplace?
  • Is the control map set up to be Useable In the mode you're trying it to use?
    E.g. Field needs to be enabled when you're not in battle, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • it doesn't seem to matter if the useable in field/battle checkbox is enabled or not. I wanted to add a jump to my character to be used in field or battle. I made an input key, setup the animation, and a control map called jump. I added that control map to my character combatant but it still will not work. The only way I found to add any extra input keys was to place them all under the attack control map. It seems if I add any other control maps they are ignored.
  • edited September 2014
    Ok, next thing to check - whatever the control map calls (e.g. an ability or an assigned shortcut) also needs to be useable in that mode.

If you try to call an ability through a control map that's only useable in battle, but you're currently not in battle, it wont be called.

A combatant's control map will search for the first useable action assigned to a pressed key - the first control key that has an action that is currently useable (e.g. due to use requirements, game mode, etc.) will be used.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Forgive my ignorance, but if I wanted to add a jump animation to my game, I would need to create a jump ability for the combatant first and make it useable in field/battle?
  • @Lioki nah just added the animation in the type section then add a input key for it liek space or what ever an you will have a jump
    new website can be found here http://www.fore-loregames.com

Follow the game Development on Twitter https://twitter.com/Fore_Lore_Games

or check out the face book page here https://www.facebook.com/ForeLoreGames
  • @wtyson that doesn't work. At least not they way you have explained it. I have added the animation type, the input key and a control map and nothing works. This is all in real time mind you, I am not interested at all in turn based type of gameplay.
    I am starting to think this framework isn't what I need for the gamestyle I want to emulate.
  • edited September 2014
    In Base/Control Animations you have an animation "Jump" set up? And that's set up to a Control Key that is unique. And you put the unique name for your character's jump animation in the "Animation Name" slot. And you added that animation group that includes jump to your combatant? By animation group I mean the Default animations that now include jump.

Have a little patience. I use Real Time Battles and I think imho ORK is the best engine for making role-playing fighting games. I ask a lot of questions here but then it's because I know ORK can do a lot of fine-tuning and of course I'm still also a beginner with ORK2, coming from ORK1.

Try first to work out giving your player the ability to jump. You're using a 3rd person controller, right? I use first person. But I've used 3rd person before. You can easily give your player the Jump animation. I could use the Menu input key without adding it to my control map. I did add it but I don't think that makes any difference.

Do you have the right animation name for your character set up in the animation type?

Post edited by Catacomber on
  • @lioki
    If jumping is a player control, you should do that as a player control and not an ability. Either use the built-in Button player controller and enable jumping there, or use a custom control.
    Abilities are for stuff like attacks and magic spells.
  • @Catacomber yes I did all that as explained in the tutorial, which are really great btw, I noticed my can jump settings were not right. In air was at 0 O_o changed it and viola, jumping!
    Now back to the shortcuts, is it possible to place an ability into a shortcut without using mouse drag and drop? I have that all setup and it works well but I really would like to just use a gamepad to do this.
  • Currently you can set shortcuts either as default shortcuts in the combatant's settings, or through the event system.
    Setting an item/ability as shortcut through menu screens (e.g. using sub-menus) is on my to-do list, but not implemented yet :)
  • edited October 2014
    Through an event. I will mess around with that. What I aim to do is have a list of available abilities that a player can "buy" (haven't sorted out a gold or points system yet) and then choose what abilities to use by enabling them into the shortcut slots without having to drag with a mouse. I wish to make the game playable solely with an xbox 360 controller.
    EDIT: As I dig deeper into the framework it seems using a gamepad is a tough route to take. I wanted to hold the right trigger and have the quickslots change to a different quickslot HUD with four extra quickslots for more abilities, but I can't find a way to hide one HUD and show another. I think the way I had a quickslot bar setup at the base of the screen is the only option. Now I have to rework my controls for mouse/keyboard. I had it setup to emulate Dark Souls controls perfectly too :(

I don't want to shortcut items or equipment though. I am fine with a player having to go to a menu screen for that at this time, if multiplayer was an option then shortcutting items would be a different story.
    So I made a HUD with the xbox360 buttons as shortcut images that don't accept input, then I overlayed another HUD that called shortcuts placed into it as text next to the button images... if that makes sense. Is there a better way to do this?

Also how do I get the camera to face a certain position when a scene loads? The camera seems to be random in each one, When the game starts in Town scene it's pointing straight down at the players head, then in the Field scene it's pointing towards the players face. I tried to change the World/Camera Position settings but it didn't seem to do anything.
    Post edited by lioki on
  • edited October 2014
    Re Camera Positions---My suggestion would be to make a Camera Position for each position you want to use. You make them as you mentioned I think in World Camera Positions.

Then make a Start Event for each scene with autostart as the trigger where you want to change the camera position and add a step in the Event ----Change Camera Position. Don't add variables to the event unless you want the camera change to happen only once.

Probably in your First Scene you'd want to use the step Initial Camera Position or use that in any scene where you're going to use an event in the same scene to change the Camera Position. I hope that helps and is clear.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Re: Camera---You're using the demo scenes and not making new scenes of your own?
  • edited October 2014
    @lioki
    You can toggle a HUD on/off with input keys by enabling Use Toggle Key in the HUD's Display Conditions. If you additionally enable Only While Key, the HUD will only be displayed while the input is valid (e.g. when using Hold in the input key it will only display while the key is held down).

You can also use events to show/hide HUDs using the Block HUD step. Maybe you can create the system you want using Global Events, e.g. using two input keys (one for button press, one for button release) and two global events.
    One global event is called by button press to show your 2nd shortcut HUD and hide the other, the other global event is called by button release and hides the 2nd and shows the other.

The camera depends on what camera controls you're using - the built-in controls are only to get you started, you can use custom controls that suit your needs better. Also, the position of the camera at the start of the scene can influence the start position, e.g. when the controls don't need to reposition the camera because it's already near the player.

Edit: Forget the HUD/global event thing - the next update will bring a new setting for HUD toggling to set the start state, i.e. if it's toggled on or off at the start (and also inverses displaying while holding a key, so it can be hidden while the key is held). That allows you to switch between the HUDs easily by setting one to be toggled on and one off at the start :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on