• For one of my abilities in a real time battle system I'm trying to simulate making the enemy run around in a random direction. I set up a battle event that does this by using several 'Move In DIrection' blocks for 8 directions, after a 'Random' block. After 2-4s of wait it loops back to the Random block, and a new direction is chosen, etc. This all, to my surprise, works exactly as I imagined. However, every time the direction changes the enemy flickers quickly (disappears and re-appears facing the correct direction). This doesn't seem like it should happen and is possibly a bug. If it's relevant, I have disabled his ability to change his own position via the appropriate status effect setting.
  • Can you send me the event to contact@orkframework.com?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Whenever I try to open a GUI Editor for a HUD with a type of Combatant or Turn Order in my real project, Unity suddenly closes. Same thing if I successfully open the GUI Editor for a different HUD Type and then try to change its type to Combatant or Turn Order.

All of the other HUD Types are fine and if I do a fresh install starting from the demo, all types including Combatant and Turn Order have no errors. I only break them as soon as I bring in my previous ORKProject.asset and ORKProject.asset.meta.
    twitter.com/JellyPaladin
  • That's strange, please send them to me and I'll take a look at it :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2014
    Disregard, it was just me being stupid and not specifying a proper range in Auto-Apply; so it was continually trying to both apply and remove a status effect at the same time, forever. :P

Heya GiL,

Experimenting with my Elemental Attunement mechanic that Auto-assigns and Auto-Removes various Status Effects depending on what the player's current element value is at.

For example, let's say that the Fire Element has a range of 0-100, where 50 is neutral. Upon reaching 75, the player gains a Mild Attunement Boost. Upon lowering to 25, the player gains a Mild Penalty.

Strangely, those mild Status effects work fine. But when the status value goes to 100 or 0 to trigger the Strong Boost/Penalty, I get the resulting stack overflow error and tremendous lag:
    StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.
    ORKFramework.StatusValue.CheckBounds (Boolean checkDeath, Boolean checkLevelUp)
    ORKFramework.CombatantStatus.CheckStatusBounds ()
    ORKFramework.CombatantStatus.AddEffect (Int32 effectID, ORKFramework.Combatant user, ORKFramework.StatusEffectCast cast, Boolean force)
    ORKFramework.StatusEffectSetting.CheckAuto (ORKFramework.Combatant c)
    ORKFramework.StatusEffectSetting.StatusValueChanged (ORKFramework.Combatant c, Int32 id, Int32 change)
    ORKFramework.CombatantStatus.AddEffect (Int32 effectID, ORKFramework.Combatant user, ORKFramework.StatusEffectCast cast, Boolean force)
    ORKFramework.StatusEffectSetting.StatusValueChanged (ORKFramework.Combatant c, Int32 id, Int32 change)

Also, for the Auto-Apply/Remove Status Value Requirements in Status Effects; are the Comparisons *Equal and Greater Than* or just *Greater Than* etc?

I'll toss you my ork project via email in case you'd like to see.
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • edited March 2014
    This time I do think I've actually found a bug! Or at least something that might need to be tweaked.

-Adding bonus values to a Combined Value doesn't work.

Example:

>> Make a Combined Value such as ATK = Courage * (Strength * .5)

>> Try to create a Status effect or Weapon/Armor that increases ATK directly either through percentage or a direct number value.

>> No effect! The Combined value retains its normal formula value without adding the bonus value/percentage.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?
    Post edited by Kirb on
  • @Kirb
    The stack overflow will be fixed in the next update - still doesn't help wrong settings :D
    The bonuses are currently added before the final calculation, so you'll have to use the combined status value in the formula itself to add it's base value. I'll do a small change in the next version to add the percent bonuses after the final value calculation - the absolute bonuses will still be added to the base value prior to the calculation, so you'll still have to use it in your formula :)
  • edited March 2014
    That makes sense! Thanks for the clarification (and the fix!), GiL. :D
    Post edited by Kirb on
  • I don't know if this is a bug or me misunderstanding how to use the various options but,

For enemy combatants, auto attack time doesn't seem to do anything. I have an attack with no reuse time, but I set the Time interval field in 'auto attack' for the combatant to 2s, however, when the enemy combatant uses the auto attack, it uses it like infinity times per second rather than once every 2 seconds :P

The combatant knows no abilities and has the "Attack" ability set up under "attack settings" with the Auto attack enabled and the time inverval set to 2. If I set the ability's reuse timer to 5s or something like that, then that seems to work, but the time interval under auto attack does not.
  • edited March 2014
    @gamingislove: Thanks for the help earlier. I think I'm slowly unraveling the mystery of the mess I've made here. I do have one question: what things trigger Auto Apply and Auto Remove to check again if their conditions are met? (Or do they constantly check in real time?)

So far I haven't been able to pin it down to "Status Effect Y is causing an infinite loop in its Auto Apply/Remove settings" or "X status effects won't crash but X+1 is too much to handle," so my current theory is that it has something to do with a series of interactions in how most of my status effects are checking for other status effects...

Edit: Been testing all day. I notice that even after deleting enough status effects to get the HUD section working again, leaving an Auto Apply box checked for any of the functional status effects without giving the conditions for when it applies will be sure to crash the HUD Types I mentioned

Later edit: ...never mind, that's not a consistent crash. I've cut down to eight status effects by now and I'm able to use unassigned Auto Applies without breaking the editor. Those still might be a small thing that can be the final straw, though, so I'll leave my mention here...

Even later edit: alrighty, it may have taken 10 hours, but I've found it! Sending an email now. :D
    Post edited by JellyPaladin on
    twitter.com/JellyPaladin
  • edited March 2014
    @Juryiel
    That's most likely because the Auto Attack and the other actions selected based on the AI are differently handled. Auto attacks don't prevent the combatant from using other means of attack, e.g. selecting their base attack or an ability through the battle menu (player) or battle AI.
    In your case, the enemy will most likely use the auto attack, but right after that will use the base attack because that's what the battle AI selected.

@JellyPaladin
    I'm on it :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • edited March 2014
    Sorry if that wasn't clear. The combatant has no abilities. He only has auto attack. He also has no battle AI (well he does but so far all it has in it is a Random block and a Check difficulty block). In other words, if I don't give him an auto attack, he does not damage me. If I give him an auto attack that does 10 damage, with the time interval of 2 s, he does 500 hp of damage (my player's HP) instantly. If I add a reuse time to the attack ability itself that he uses as auto attack, then he does 10 damage every 5 seconds or whatever I add for reuse.
    Post edited by Juryiel on
  • Even if the combatant has no abilities and the AI does nothing - he will always have a base attack and the AI will always use the base attack unless otherwise told. There is a Timeout setting for AI actions that you can use to increase the time between actions.
  • edited March 2014
    Ah I see now. Yes, I was confused because I thought the Auto Attack settings went with the base attack ability, but they don't, or at least they don't have to. You can set a different ability to be the auto attack. So then, in order to have an auto attack that happens every 2 seconds , and other abilities that can happen at different intervals (so that the combatant has no Timeout since only the auto attack should have a timeout) I should set the default attack ability to an ability that does nothing, or alternatively use battle AI to stop him from using the base attack? Then I can have a different ability as the auto attack, and have that on a time interval of 2s in the auto attack settings. I think that will work :) Thanks!
    Post edited by Juryiel on
  • Or you could just go with the battle AI and drop the auto attack - since for enemies it doesn't really matter if it's an auto attack or a normal attack.