edited January 2016 in Announcements
ORK Framework 2.6.3 is here: release notes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORK 2.6.3 is in development, bringing you great new stuff!

I'm currently working on an exciting new feature for turn based battles, possibly also coming for phase battles:
  • Turn Based Battles, Phase Battles: Actions Per Turn
    The new Actions Per Turn setting allows defining the number of actions a combatant can make in his turn - theoretically. As long as that number is above 0 and the combatant didn't end his turn, he can continue to use actions.

The actions per turn are defined by the usual value selection, i.e. you can also use a formula, basing the actions per turn on the combatant's status values, allowing things like status effects to influence it. Optionally, you can also add the actions per turn instead of setting them, carrying over the unused actions from the last turn.

Now, why did I write theoretically? Because you can define how much using an action will reduce the actions per turn - generally called Action Cost for now. E.g. you can set your abilities to not reduce the actions per turn and simply allow using as many actions as possible (e.g. due to the usual use costs, reducing MP).

Naturally, dynamic combat makes the feature a bit useless, since it breaks the turn based battle order :)
Other stuff coming in this update:
  • Status Types
    The new Status Types can be used to separate status values.
    This can be used for filtering in the editor and e.g. to display a list of status values based on status type in HUDs.
    If anyone got another idea for using this feature, just let me know :)
  • HUDs: Combatant, Turn Order
    Status Type text codes for Status Value HUD elements available.
    Use %tn, %td or %ti to display the name, description or icon of the status type of the displayed status value.
    Additionally, the List and List All settings have been replaced with a single List Status Values selection - you can either display a single status value, all status values, only status values of a defined status type or only status values of a defined status value type (normal, consumable, experience).
  • Horizontal Plane
    All settings regarding orientation and angles have a new Horizontal Plane setting available. This defines if the horizontal plane should use the XZ (default 3D) or XY (defualt 2D) axes.
    This is e.g. available for Navigation type HUDs, the move AI enemy detection or in Check Orientation steps.
  • Event System: Inventory
    The new Remove Item Type step allows removing all items, weapons, armors and currency of a defined item type from a combatant's inventory.
  • Event System: Add To Item Box
    The new Use Add Type setting in the Add To Item Box step allows using the add type settings of items and equipment when adding them to item boxes. E.g. if your items are set to automatically stack, so will the items added to item boxes through the event system.
  • Abilities: Use Cost
    The new Auto Consume setting lets you define if the use costs should be consumed automatically when using the ability (i.e. when the ability starts, before the battle events).
    You can either not use them (meaning they'll be used when the abiltiy is calculated, e.g. Calculate step), only use them when the ability has no targets (e.g. for None target ranges) or always consume them.
    Additionally, the Consume Items settings have been moved to the Use Cost settings.
  • HUDs: Combatant
    The Inne Assign setting of Shortcut HUD elements will now be used when assigning shortcuts from the same combatant instead of the same HUD element.
  • Abilities, Items
    You can optionally override the default action cost for each ability and item individually.
    Abilities and items can also change the actions per turn of the target.
    The new Actions Per Turn type HUD element allows displaying the actions per turn of a combatant.
    Also, you can now display the current turn of a combatant in an Information type HUD element using the new %t text code.
  • Battle AIs, Formulas, Battle Events
    The new Check Action Bar step allows checking a combatant's action bar.
    In Turn Based and Phase battles, the action bar represents the actions per turn.
    In Active Time battles, the action bar represents the timebar.
  • Battle Events
    The new Change Action Bar step allows changing a combatant's action bar.
  • Formulas
    The new Action Bar step allows using the current action bar value of a combatant to change the formula value.
    The new Turn Value step allows using the current turn value of a combatant to change the formula value. The turn value is used in Turn Based battles using Multi Turns to determine the combatant order.
Post edited by gamingislove on
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2016
    Horizontal Plane
    All settings regarding orientation and angles have a new Horizontal Plane setting available. This defines if the horizontal plane should use the XZ (default 3D) or XY (defualt 2D) axes.
    This is e.g. available for Navigation type HUDs, the move AI enemy detection or in Check Orientation steps.
    Woo! :D

In hindsight, I should have asked for this ages ago! Super happy to see this in.

Looks like we've got some great stuff coming down the pipe.
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • edited January 2016
    I'm currently working on an exciting new feature for turn based battles, possibly also coming for phase battles:
    • Turn Based Battles: Actions Per Turn
      The new Actions Per Turn setting allows defining the number of actions a combatant can make in his turn - theoretically. As long as that number is above 0 and the combatant didn't end his turn, he can continue to use actions.

The actions per turn are defined by the usual value selection, i.e. you can also use a formula, basing the actions per turn on the combatant's status values, allowing things like status effects to influence it. Optionally, you can also add the actions per turn instead of setting them, carrying over the unused actions from the last turn.

Now, why did I write theoretically? Because you can define how much using an action will reduce the actions per turn - generally called Action Cost for now. E.g. you can set your abilities to not reduce the actions per turn and simply allow using as many actions as possible (e.g. due to the usual use costs, reducing MP).

Naturally, dynamic combat makes the feature a bit useless, since it breaks the turn based battle order :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2016
    Actions Per Turn. VEERRRRY helpful!

So I could use this to switch out a character mid-battle and not use a turn, like FFX?
    Post edited by Griffin on
  • Yes, but only when using Active Command (with or without multi-turns). In the classic mode, the actions happen after everyone chose what to do, i.e. changing members will also happen after eveyone selected their commands.
  • Yea, that makes sense. That helped me make a decision; I'll be going Active Command over classic. This is a fantastic addition.
  • Definitely going to be using this feature! Sounds pretty much like Action Points in games like Fallout, Wasteland 2, or Divinity: OS.
  • I was thinking the same exact thing. Should be perfect for implementing such a system.
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • Hoping for a small tutorial on Actions per Turn. It's enough to make me switch to turn-based battle.
  • I'm planning to write a gameplay tutorial which adds an extra turn through a status effect to demonstrate the mechanic. Setup wise it's pretty much the same as regular turn based battles - just that you e.g. set up a formula that uses status values to determine the actions a combatant can perform per turn.
  • edited January 2016
    Alright - the actions per turn feature is finished and will be available in Turn Based and Phase battles.
    As usual, there'll be several additional things accompanying this feature:
    • Abilities, Items
      You can optionally override the default action cost for each ability and item individually.
      Abilities and items can also change the actions per turn of the target.
      The new Actions Per Turn type HUD element allows displaying the actions per turn of a combatant.
      Also, you can now display the current turn of a combatant in an Information type HUD element using the new %t text code.
    • Battle AIs, Formulas, Battle Events
      The new Check Action Bar step allows checking a combatant's action bar.
      In Turn Based and Phase battles, the action bar represents the actions per turn.
      In Active Time battles, the action bar represents the timebar.
    • Battle Events
      The new Change Action Bar step allows changing a combatant's action bar.
    • Formulas
      The new Action Bar step allows using the current action bar value of a combatant to change the formula value.
      The new Turn Value step allows using the current turn value of a combatant to change the formula value. The turn value is used in Turn Based battles using Multi Turns to determine the combatant order.
    Release most likely this Friday :)
  • Absolutely fantastic GIL. I am so happy my suggestion was able to improve Ork even more.
    Optionally, you can also add the actions per turn instead of setting them, carrying over the unused actions from the last turn.
    I wasn't even thinking about this and now I can't see my game working without it. I am very excited to get my hands on this update. Thanks again!
  • It seems with every update, the value of ORK increases. I eagerly await the parousia of ORK3!
  • edited January 2016
    Another small, but probably very useful new feature if you're working with custom components or 3rd party solutions:
    • Save Data
      You can now save/load component data of a combatant by implementing the IComponentSaveData in your components. This can be used to save component information of player combatants with a save game, transfer component data between scenes or for remembered combatant spawner combatants.
      The data is stored when the combatant's game object is destroyed or when the game is saved (only for player group members). The data is loaded whenever the combatant's prefab is spawned (or you assign a different game object to the combatant) - i.e. can also be used to transfer component data when using conditional prefabs.
      The interface has 3 functions, the SaveGame and LoadGame functions (like in the custom save data system) and the GetSaveKey function. The save key is used to store the data - if you have multiple components of the same type that need saving, just use a save key field for this and return the save key there. I'll provide an example similar to the custom save data how-to once this is released :)
  • edited January 2016
    ORK Framework 2.6.3 is here: release notes

An example for the new Actions Per Turn feature can be found in this gameplay tutorial.
    An implementation example for the IComponentSaveData interface can be found in this scripting how-to.
  • edited January 2016
    I upgraded to ORK Framework 2.6.3 and discovered that it does not co-exist with Makinom 1.4.

Confirmed by creating a brand new project, importing ORK 2.6.3, and then importing Makinom 1.4.

Both the ORK and Makinom editor windows completely freeze when opening and can't even be closed.

When trying to open either editor window, the console is filled with ReflectionTypeLoadExceptions:

ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
    System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/Assembly.cs:371)
    Makinom.Formulas.Nodes.FormulaNodeHelper.AddFromAssembly (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2& list)
    Makinom.Formulas.Nodes.FormulaNodeHelper.GetNodes ()
    Makinom.Editor.FormulasTab.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I imported the ORK-Makinom Connection Plugin 1.0.2 before I tried opening either editor window, so it is quite possible that the plugin is the issue.
    Post edited by Keldryn on