I've been following along with the tutorials, and they've been pretty helpful. However, I've ran into some issues when trying to translate it all into a Real-time game. I have a lot of questions going forward, but I'll pose the first few for now.

Regarding the enemy combatant, I haven't found a way to properly have him already in the scene when it's loaded. I'd like the enemy to already be there and attack the player when he notices him.

Perhaps I somehow goofed the formulas or something, but it takes a few seconds for the enemy to do anything. At first it was a few seconds between each attack, not its just the start of the battle. He also does the same two things in the same order. He starts the battle with a boost. I don't know why, though. He's already stronger than the player, I only want the boost to be used near death, but that doesn't seem to be working. He then begins his attack. A simple sword slash. The animation brings him forward a bit, cool, but he does it again immediately. Again and again and again. He flies off the terrain, he's not even affected by gravity.

I guarantee I'll be back for more, these are just the issues I'll post for the time being. I don't want to overwhelm anyone. If all of these problems are elementary and I'm just an idiot, please just let me know.
  • That's actually mostly handled in the later game tutorials, #30-33 show topics that are usefull in real time battles, e.g. combatant spawners, move AI, damage dealers/zones, etc.

As set up in the tutorial, you'll most likely want to use a Real Time Battle Area instead of placed battles and use combatant spawners to have the combatants in the scene, running around (via move AI) and attacking/hunting the player.

How enemies behave is handled by their battle AI, e.g. the game tutorial set up the AI for the supporter (I think) to use boost if the status effect isn't applied, so that'll most likely be the first action. That's up to you how you want to set it up.
    Real time battles also use the combatant's Timeout setting (in the combatant's Battle Settings > AI Settings), which determines the time between using 2 actions to prevent spamming the ability back to back.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you, that helped.

As promised, I'm back for more. This time with stuff I may have set up incorrectly, but I can't figure out how.

Firstly, the run animations for the combatants skips. It works fine for about 3 seconds, then it doesn't anymore. I made sure it's not the actual animation I'm using, it's definitely something I screwed up. I thought the walk and run animations were being blended to hell, so I removed the walk animation, but that did nothing.

There's also the fact that I can't get the player to hold a sword. It's in his start inventory and equipment. I set up the prefab, I can't get it to work. I think the attack animation is also attached to the sword, which is why the attack button doesn't currently do anything.

That's it for the time being, thank you for your patience and support, it means a lot.
  • Which animation system are you using, legacy or Mecanim? Also, might be that the animation is just not set to loop?

If the player can't equip the sword, make sure the combatant's class is set up to allow equipping it (or the combatant itself, if you're using own equipment settings for it). If it's the physical holding via equipment viewer, make sure the viewer is set up correctly (e.g. showing the equipment during battle, correct equipment part selected) and the sword's viewer prefab is set up.

However, if the attack button isn't working, it might be due to the attack not being useable. Depending on your setup, that could be due to no target being in range or use costs not checking out, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!