edited August 2014 in ORK Support
OK so i was playing with my control maps to add bindings to keyboard/gamepad, i set up three control keys for testing:

Punches
Strong Punch
Heavy Kick

all three are on the same control map with different input keys and proper attack indexes (i thought thats how you did it)

set it up correctly and when i went to test in-game, and realized that strong Punch or Heavy Kick didnt worked without first executing the initial punches key..Now im assuming this is a way to do combos right.. but is that how its suppose to work?

to clarify...if i was to press "J" for punches key it will execute the punch no problem and then and only then can i follow up with input keys "K" and "L" for the other attacks

I named it punches because i was hoping it could cycle thru my different punches without me having to set everything separately to a different keys as i have alot of combat moves (e.g Punch(L), Punch(R), Strong Punch, Heavy Kick, Low Kick, You get the idea lol)

Is this even possible?

could events be used maybe to randomize my attack as combos each time the player button mashes a few keys it gives different combinations based on which key was pressed first or full on random combos would be cool too

I did see ability combos but wasnt sure if that applied to me ..thanks in advance for any help
  • It depends on what you're using - attacks or abilities.

Attacks cycle through the available base attacks of a combatant, but you can force a specific index by enabling Force Index in the control key. Otherwise, an attack index is only available when the cycle currently is on that attack.

With abilities, you can fire them whenever they are available, e.g. due to being learned, use costs or ability combos (which can be set up in the ability's settings).

You can also use events to do different things once an action has been fired - with the Wait For Input and Input Fork steps you're able to change the event based on the player's input.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hey GiL,

ok so when you say attacks or abilities im assuming your talking about the base attack right? because essentially my "attacks are label in the abilities box (just making sure i understand ya)

so if it is the attacks the force index will allow me to use one input key for multiple attack or would that more likely be events?

the goal im trying to achieve is this "J" keyboard key will handle punch and punch combos, "K" will handle kick and kick combo etc
  • Attacks and abilities are different things, even if attacks use abilities for their actual attacks. Attacks refer to a combatant's base attacks, while abilities are learned (e.g. through the class or ability development).

Using the same input key for multiple attacks/abilities or doing combos is possible - a control map will use the first action it can. Having multiple actions on the same input key requires you to set them up in reverse order, i.e. the last of the combo attacks as the first control key, etc.

Also, you can only have one base attack combo, so you'll need to set up the other (e.g. the kicks) as abilities.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • OK the the actions i have say, for punch i need to set a reverse in control map (e.g combo is : punch,punch, kick, Power Kick, then i need to set it up like: Power Kick,Kick, Punch, Punch right?)

and that is the only combo i can have as an attack..so any other combo i want to create will have to be done with abilities
  • Exactly - in case of ability combos, there are Ability Combo settings in the ability's Requirement settings.
  • ok ok one last thing that been bugging me.....

i tend to add gamepad support at some point and for certain abilities (FireBlast etc) i want a button combination like holding Left trigger + X (Xbox Controller) or in a keyboard point of view Ctrl + Left Mouse Click ...i use key combo in input keys for that kind of stuff right?

And since im using Real time battle and damage dealers im assuming the point of origin is the middle of the camera where the person attacks,shoots and or cast? if so how do i add a visual marker like a Crosshair?

OK thats all that been keeping me stuck lately lol thanks again in advance GiL!!!
  • Button combinations would be an input key with input type ORK Input Key with All required keys.
    The Key Combo type is for key sequences like A - A - B - Up.

The point of origin is where you make it. First of all, if you're using Raycast for ability targets, you can define if the origin is from the screen (using the center + defined offset) or the user (or a child object, like a gun).
    Also, stuff like bullets or fireballs are spawned as prefabs by the battle events that animate them, so you have full control of where you spawn them and how you move them.
  • edited August 2014
    Also is there a timeout for the combo ? i got it working but say i press button once then wait like 2 seconds, if i press again its going to continue the combo instead of start over lol.....

and if i have have to do other combos with abilities i cant start it from the first punch can I? (E.g mouse 0 first punch then jump to to mouse 1 with kicks? basically interchanging mouse 0 and mouse 1 (im assuming that is left and right click of mouse) based on button combination determines the combo

Mouse 0, Mouse 0, Mouse 0 = combo 1
    Mouse 0, Mouse 1, Mouse 0 = combo 2
    Mouse 1, Mouse 1, Mouse 0 = combo 3

and so on.....doable?

also i would i change the base combo with better moves when leveling up?
    Post edited by bkstudios on
  • ok so ORK input is more for combination things (like my Ctrl + B example) and the key combo is a combination of input that when and on when that combination is finished will it execute right?
  • Key Combo type has a timeout setting between the different keys (and can also optionally ignore other inputs to not break the combo). There aren't that many settings in combo keys, not that hard to find :)

Again, the control maps will use the first action they can - so if you press mouse 0 and the first action bound to that input is a punch, the punch will be used. Unless you've added some requirements to the ability, like punch can only be used after kick.

Yes, ORK Input Key type is for pressing things at the same time, Key Combo type is for pressing inputs in sequence and fire the input after the last has been pressed :)
  • edited August 2014
    im sorry GiL maybe i mis-typed that the timeout i was referring to was for the original input key type Keycode to do the base combo not key combo input type....

to explain:

like i said, i got my initial combo to work for the base attack my thing is, when you press mouse 0 once it will do the lunch...let say i run around or something and press mouse Zero again and going to pick up where it left off in the combo and do the following punch not the initial one to begin with...i set the timeout in the input key(keycode) to 0.5 but it has no effect...

One base attack combo is that for the whole framework or per control map? if so to do something like this

Mouse 0, Mouse 0, Mouse 0 = combo 1
    Mouse 0, Mouse 1, Mouse 0 = combo 2
    Mouse 1, Mouse 1, Mouse 0 = combo 3

would it be best to make more than one control map (using abilities as the combos as you explained earlier)

Post edited by bkstudios on
  • The timeout in input keys is for a time between recognizing two inputs from that key. There are help texts for every setting available (by default if you hover the mouse over a field). Please refer to them for those basic settings, they're all explained right there :)

What you're looking for is (for base attacks) the Available Time setting in abilities. That's the time a base attack (that's not index 0) will be available to perform in a combo.
    When doing ability combos, there is a time setting to limit the time an ability can be used after another.
    For base attacks, there is only one combo, but you can still use individual base attacks with the Force Index option in control maps. For other things, you can use abilities. If you're going for a variety of attacks with different combos, I'd go for ability combos.

Since you can add multiple control maps to your combatants, it can be a good idea to split different combos up to individual control maps.
  • yea im using multiple control maps and its working well but i do play on doing a variety of combos so i should for get base attack all together and just do ability combos ok ill re work some things and see how i can work it out
  • OK GiL for reasons unknown to me, i can get my control map to play an ability...i was thinking of going the route of playing ability/ability combos and by passing base attack since the way its setup doesnt work for my game but when i set it to an ability on the control map and press play for testing nothing happens
  • Things to check:
    - does the combatant know the ability
    - can the combatant use the ability (e.g. use costs, only useable in battle/field, etc.)
    - the usual control map stuff, e.g. can it be used in the battle system you're using, etc. :)