• I don't know how this is progressing. But also highly interested in this.
  • @Sannyb2100,
    Good to hear. This project is currently just waiting to see if others wanted anything other than the pseudo standard that I mentioned previously. The thought was to collect the ideas and present something to Gil. Perhaps now we are able to put together the documentation and agree on what is required. (Even if there are additional things people want, its been long enough, we should get the basics up and running?)

I have a week or two's worth of level building left to go, but then I am free to focus on others things, might take a crack at the 3d view in 2d hud, If I can get that, then I might just do it myself and post the tute (that is a big might though).

• @Phesant33,

For the 3D character view on a 2D HUD, all you really need to do is set up a second camera pointing at the character and set it to render into a render texture. Then you display that render texture on the UI panel.
  • @Keldryn,
    Thanks heaps, I had a look at it a while back, and it seems you can just display the two cameras at once, and have a black bg with depth only and set the layer to player only, this would allow you to use the rotation controls of the camera controller to view your character (I believe anyway, haven't tried it yet) There were some nice example scripts on the unity camera documentation. I'll have a go once I've finished this level to a nice standard... meh waterfalls.
  • @Keldryn

Can you tell me in simpler terms how to do this? How do you set up a second camera pointing at the character and set it to render into a render texture. Then you display that render texture on the UI panel? Thx.
  • @Catacomber:

First create a new Render Texture (right click on a folder in the Project view, select Create -> Render Texture) which we'll use for the output:

Add a new camera to your player prefab (just under the top level in the hierarchy works fine) and position it so that it is facing the character at a distance far enough away to be able to view the whole body:

Set the Culling Mask on the camera to only render the Player layer (obviously you need to put the player prefab on the Player layer as well). You'll need to create the Player layer, but it doesn't really matter which number you assign it to. Probably want to set it to Orthographic. Set the Target Texture to your newly created Render Texture.

On your UI prefab, add an image and set to to the Render Texture:

This is basically lifted from how it's done in the Inventory Pro demo.
  • That's pretty nice man.
    j0hnbane
    youtube.com/j0hnbane
  • Ah nicely explained! Gonna do that soon as I get home myself!
  • edited October 2016
    @Keldryn---

Thanks so much! You might put this in the tutorial section if you have time. Very nice feature.

It's actually super cool.
    Post edited by Catacomber on