Heya!

Why is the actual battle view camera using a different position than the one I specified in the framework options? (This is a teleport battle - another scene)

Quite frustrating :) Probably my own fault!
  • It's Position Offset. It adds values to your current position, not changing it.

You have to position it relative to a Target Child.
  • Interesting!
    That doesn't seem to be covered in the tutorials though.
    How do I fix my positioning problem? How do I define the Target Child, and what should it be in a battle scene?
  • Since you're using Look At, the rotation will obviously be changed by that (but you can use the Ignore settings to prevent the enabled axes from changing).

As Rayulyn seid, it's an offset that's added to the target of the camera position. E.g. in the tutorials, the camera changes are done on the battle arena or target of an ability.
    To target a child object, you'll have to type in the path to that object.

E.g. if you want to target a child object named Head, you'd just have to define Head as the child object. If you want to target a child of a child object, you need to separate them using a /, e.g. Head/Eye or Spine/LeftArm/LeftHand
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks, both of you! The problem has been slain :)
  • I may as well ask my own camera related questions here :)

I am doing the Grid Battle tutorial, and I have created the Grid Battle Camera and added it to the gridBattleStartEvent as the tutorial explained. When I walk a character into the grid battle, the camera moves moves to the proper position. However as soon as it *reaches* that position, the camera instantly zooms into the ground so closely that I cannot see the grid at all. All I can see is my battle menu, and when I click on that the camera position changes again and I end up unable to see the map at all.

My best guess is that there are some leftover settings from the standard tutorials that are gaining control of the camera somehow. Either that, or the camera's target is changing somehow. I tried setting the camera's child object to the name of the grid battle object, but that did not seem to help.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this?
  • If you've followed the game tutorial to the spot (or just use the ORK demo project), following the grid battles tutorial should have it working without a problem and all previous setup removed. Make sure you're using the correct battle start event (e.g. the original one from the tutorial has the zoom in effect).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hmmm, I have it using the correct battle start event. Here's an odd thing: if I disable the "move camera" step in the gridBattleStart event, the "rotate to position" part of the event (the part I disabled) doesn't happen. But the camera still snaps into a position where all I can see is the ground. Is there something beside the gridBattleStart event that could be causing the camera's position to move?

I will admit that I am making this complicated because I'm trying to make the grid battle modifications to my previous tutorial project rather than starting fresh, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't do any sort of camera position customization in that one. I never had these sorts of issues when I was starting standard battles.
  • This all depends on a lot of other settings.
    E.g. the camera control you're using - especially when allowing camera controls in battle and using the Camera Control Target settings in grid battles.
  • Hmmm. Well, so far I have made the following modifications to try and narrow down the problem:

Battle System > Battle Settings > Battle Camera > Block Event Camera: enabled
    Battle System > Turn Based Battles > Control Block Settings > Block Camera Control: Battle
    Battle System > Turn Based Battles > Control Block Settings > Block in Battle Menu: enabled
    Battle System > Battle Grid Settings > (Every Camera Control Target): disabled

The camera is still snapping to some random location, hmmm. I think that is every camera related setting for the battle type that I'm using.
  • Alright! I figured it out. For some reason when I disable "Enable Camera Collision" in Game Controls > Camera Control that solved the problem. I have no idea what could have been triggering the camera collision sensor however, because I was using an open sky map. The camera also stopped jumping when I select combatants. Very weird.
  • Check your scene in the running game, there most likely is a collider somewhere that's interfering with it :)