I'm still having problems in getting these to work. Right now, I don't care about animating anything. I just want when the damage dealer enters the damage zone, it registers whatever ability is associated with that damage dealer. I'm at the point where I think it has to be something very simple that I'm overlooking, but I cannot find out what.

I have done the full tutorial, fireball tutorial, and trap tutorial. I've also searched the forums heavily and have seen some responses from @catacomber and @keldryn .. which both of you guys have been excellent resources from your replies to others' posts.

So here's what I've tried to do to strip down to the basics of making them work:
Let's say my character, that was spawned by a system event, is holding a weapon that's prefab is set up as a weapon in ORK. The damage dealer is on it. It has a rigid body and a collider. The enemy combatant is spawned by a spawner and there is a realtime battle zone. They have a damage zone attached to them, with a rigid body and collider as well. I have the damage dealer set up to always on, with the ability Sword_Slash and using the player combatant.

I know the player and combatant are set up in ORK correctly. I made sure the ability is enabled for real-time and field. Actually everything is.

Generally speaking, I my assumption is that all that has to occur now is the damage dealer trigger entering the damage zone's collider, and it should register whatever damage is defined by the ability on the combatant. Which would include taking the necessary stats from the Player combatant, since it defined in the always on section, with whatever adjustments the sword would make to the physical damage formula I use.
I've been trying to simplify this process as much as possible to find out what I'm missing. Any insight would be appreciated.

On top of this, I have a two questions.

1) Does the Damage Dealer take into account compound colliders as long as a rigidbody is attached to the same gameobject as the Damage Dealer?

2) On the scripting side of things, what function is the 'always on' feature doing? Since i assume that its using a void OnTriggerEnter() or whatever collision was chosen, it isn't eating up an Update. Is it just to keep the collisions clean for no accidental triggering?
j0hnbane
youtube.com/j0hnbane
  • Can you post screenshots of the Inspector for the components on the weapon prefab and the combatant with the Damage Zone?

Either that, or send me a link (privately) to your stripped down, zipped project file and I'll take a look.
  • edited October 2016
    Some things to consider:
    - the collider on the damage dealer should be a trigger when using one of the trigger start types
    - the used ability must be known to the combatant (i.e. an actual ability, not a base/counter attack)
    - the combatant isn't searched for in parent objects, i.e. if you don't define the combatant, your spawned weapon will probably not find it scrap that, it does search in parent objects as well :D
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited October 2016
    Thank you @Keldryn and @gamingislove.

I'm going to make a seperate project with the bare minimums of what I've been doing and send it to you Keldryn. Thank you for your help.

@gamingislove I did check for that and I had it selected for 'onTriggerEnter' and the collider was set as a trigger.

That's great to know about the abilities, makes life a little easier. I did have the damage dealer set up to pull from the combatant all the time and I am 99% sure that the ability was already known by the combatant.

With my second question below the damage dealer post above. Using complex colliders, can I have the damage dealer be in a parent gameobject and use those as triggers? I assume it works like regular rigidbodies and I'd be good to go. Here's an example.

>sword <damage dealer with rigidbody
    >colliders <no rigidbody
    >cube1 <set as triggers no rigidbodies
    >cube2 <set as triggers no rigidbodies
    >cube3 <set as triggers no rigidbodies
    >sword_mesh
    Thank you again for your guys' support.
    Post edited by j0hnbane on
    j0hnbane
    youtube.com/j0hnbane
  • The damage dealer can only react to colliders attached to the same game object - it wont get trigger/collision events from child objects (like all other components in Unity).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!