Hi folks,

Just a quick question - is there a spellbuilder functionality built into Ork that I don't know about? Or has someone come up with an amazingly cunning way to do this (possibly using the crafting system) that they're willing to share?

I've looked at the tutorials and whatnot and can't see mention of one, but I thought I'd check before diving headfirst into trying to script it. Because I'm rubbish at scripting.

The sort of thing I'm looking at is in the vein of Legend of Grimrock. Tyranny, Ars Magicka, and so forth - different rune combinations giving different effects rather than a pre-built spell list.

Cheers,
- Jon
  • Something like that isn't available in ORK. You could do that with some customizations (e.g. the rune selections), the different rune combinations would need to be set up as abilities in any case.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Cheers GiL :)

I thought that was the case but you never know if some of the awfully clever folks around here have come up with something, so I figured I'd check.
  • We area just about to hit the crafting portion of our project using ORK, so I am speaking form assumption, but..

If we can use the same prefab for representation of let's say an item and crafting component, when spawned/created by ORK, would it not have both components attached?

If so, couldn't you make like a Fire Rune and a Blast Rune prefab?

Have some crafting recipes that let you combine Fire Rune(crafting component) and Blast Rune(crafting component) to make the Fireblast Rune(item). Have that item have the Fireblast ability attached to it. But also make the Fireblast Rune a crafting component. Make it so it has to be mixed with a spellbook/scroll/etc and it creates a Fire Rune and a Blast Rune? Then build your mixture of abilities, items (runes), crafting components, and crafting recipes?
    j0hnbane
    youtube.com/j0hnbane
  • I really like this kind of game mechanic, I'd be interested to hear how you progress with your implementation.

I'm doing something related, but much more simplistic than what are planning, I think. I have a very limited rune 'vocabulary', so I've done it the brute force way and simply have a 2d array containing all the valid rune combinations linked to unique abilities. Then I simply compare the player's rune string with each array entry to see if there's a matching ability.

This works fine for a limited number of rune permutations, but if you have a large number of prefix and suffix combinations clearly this would be unmanageable for you.